Honored Contributor

Re: grandmother's empty nest

Susankate my heart goes out to you as I feel the same only "reversed"! I have a 3 yr old GD of my son & DIL. I traveled 1500 miles out of "feeling like I was missing family times during the holidays.(although I come every 8 weeks or so for quick trip). Holiday was fine but now I'm pondering what to do for the next 5 days INSTEAD of babysitting!!! She is darling but I'm so over 24/7 with a little one tomorrow is my last day of obligation. I have not had 1 spare minute to visit friends while home, do what I want, etc. honestly, after this visit I think I'm going to stick to my original plan and fly out Thursday. Skype will work fine for me & frankly she really enjoys preschool therefore it maybe time for full time & Grandmom is exhausted!!! Try to find something enjoyable and get Skype it keeps my spirits going when we aren't together tilt honest visit!!
Honored Contributor

On 12/30/2014 muttmom said:
On 12/30/2014 Jannabelle said: I agree, hold babies at the hospital, volunteer at a shelter if you love pets, etc ...but find something to do that makes you want to get up in the morning.

I've seen this comment a number of times on these threads. Where do hospitals allow strangers to hold babies?

When our grandchildren were born, we had to go through a thorough security check just to get on the maternity floor.

All hospitals have volunteers who are baby rockers. Of course they are screened just like an employee would be. I knew a man who retired and did it.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I feel for you OP. I can bet not everyone gets it. But Id miss my grandkids too if they lived 3&1/2 hrs away. Mine are over an hour away and they are here in Summer 3X a week and in Spring and Fall on Saturdays. Its quiet here now in Winter while my husbands working. I find other things to do in the day time now around the house, and we still get together with my children and grandchildren once or twice a month in Winter. Id say try to keep busy with other things and Skype with them if you can. My grandkids are older, 2 have cellphones and they call me lots and or text to my email also.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

susankate: I know exactly how you feel.

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry susankate. That would be my worst nightmare. I also live alone, but two of my daughters live close by and one only 50 miles away. I see them all the time and therefore do not mind living alone. I am not lonely.

I hope your family stays in touch with you often, like maybe Skype? I don't have it myself, but I have heard that it helps a lot when families live far away from each other.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

One of my best friends has dealt with the same feelings since her only child married and moved away. Once a grandchild came into the picture, even the daily phone calls and emails were not enough to keep her spirits lifted for very long. The solution for them has been a weekend getaway once a month. They found a meeting place halfway, making for an easy drive for both families, and enjoy a 2 day visit monthly. This has been a lifesaver for my friend and something they have been doing for about 12 years.
Respected Contributor

Has there been any sign of the OP since she posted?????.................seems kinda odd, dotcha think.......................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

On 12/31/2014 raven-blackbird said:

Has there been any sign of the OP since she posted?????.................seems kinda odd, dotcha think.......................................raven

I was hoping she'd be back as well, and let us know if she was feeling any better about things. One can feel such let down when the holidays wind down, and couple that with loved ones leaving, I'm sure it can seem very sad. Hope she is doing well, and so busy and focused on other things that she didn't even think to come back.

Respected Contributor

Maybe a retirememnt move is in their future?

I would be lost without the grandkids close.

Honored Contributor

Maybe take a cab to a train station, and visit them more often. They can pick you up at their train station. I knew/know a few moms/grand-moms (even in their eighties ) who took/take trains to their daughters' homes two, three plus hours away. Usually someone drives them back, but not always.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).