Respected Contributor
On 3/1/2015 RedHeadedWench said: I was a GS leader for 8 years, a Service Unit Cookie Chair for 4 years, and a staff Membership Manager for 3 years. I also served on the Sevice Unit Cookie Board. There are no quantity discounts allowed for troops or individuals. What this parent is doing is wrong, and should be reported. The same goes for price per box discounts. If the Council decides on $4.00/box, no one should be selling them at any other price.

I agree. Back in the early 80's I was an assistant Brownie leader. The Council pretty much dictated everything. If I remember correctly the cookies were more than $2.00 a box. Buying them for $1.50 a box now just is not feasible.

Sounds like someone is supplementing her daughter's sales.

Honored Contributor
On 2/28/2015 Marienkaefer2 said:
On 2/22/2015 ivanatrump said:
On 2/22/2015 Marienkaefer2 said: I bought 12 boxes for $18 to help a friend's daughter. But I dislike them. I don't think they have any taste. No one I know likes them. I'll try to donate them.

Am I reading this correctly? You bought 12 boxes of GS cookies for $18?

Yes, correct. Here, the more you order, the price goes down per box. This was on the order sheet that my friend had. If you buy one box, they are approx $4. But the price goes down as the quantity goes up. The "best deal" was 12 for $18. So I bought 12, Plus I ordered 4 boxes on behalf of my.mom for $9. That's the way it is here, I kid you not! I brought them all to the teachers lounge at school yesterday and gave them away. I'm always amazed at how excited people get over girl scout cookies. Smiley Happy

Apparently cookie sale practices are different depending on the GS Council and what they dictate. Cookie sales are not until April in this area

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor
On 2/28/2015 Marienkaefer2 said: One thing: My area is known for volunteers and philanthropy. For example, we recently passed a bond to.build a new school. One of our residents donated $1mil of their own money to help lower the bond amount. That may not seem unusual, but we are a VERY small town with a lot of middle to low income residents, not very many wealthy. I'm thinking that maybe a local business or organization donated in some way to the girl scouts for the purchase of the cookies in order to be able to.bring prices down? I don't know if it's possible to do that, but if it were, it wouldn't surprise me.

geeze..........you could become the black market supplier for GS cookies at those prices LOL........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

Maybe the parent is making up the difference. I never heard of buy more, and save. What happens to the boxes that the troops don't sell?

Respected Contributor

These are definitely not as good as they used to be. The shortbread cookies are not buttery anymore and the thin mints are not the same. The cost is too much and I believe the Girl Scouts get something like 25 cents per box. What a ripoff! No more.

Honored Contributor
On 3/1/2015 wakefield64 said:

These are definitely not as good as they used to be. The shortbread cookies are not buttery anymore and the thin mints are not the same. The cost is too much and I believe the Girl Scouts get something like 25 cents per box. What a ripoff! No more.

I agree they aren't as good as they used to be. I bought two boxes of thin mints yesterday. I used to love them, but they just aren't as good anymore.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

When I was teaching, a colleague's daughter was a GS. Had discounts for quantity purchases been an option, I'm sure it would have been taken advantage of. She sold dozens of boxes of thin mints and Samoas at the individual price per box.

Respected Contributor
On 3/1/2015 raven-blackbird said:
On 2/28/2015 Marienkaefer2 said: One thing: My area is known for volunteers and philanthropy. For example, we recently passed a bond to.build a new school. One of our residents donated $1mil of their own money to help lower the bond amount. That may not seem unusual, but we are a VERY small town with a lot of middle to low income residents, not very many wealthy. I'm thinking that maybe a local business or organization donated in some way to the girl scouts for the purchase of the cookies in order to be able to.bring prices down? I don't know if it's possible to do that, but if it were, it wouldn't surprise me.

geeze..........you could become the black market supplier for GS cookies at those prices LOL........................................raven

Lol. Smiley Happy I'm certainly popular with the teachers after I.left all of those boxes there. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor
On 3/1/2015 I am still oxox said:
On 2/22/2015 Marienkaefer2 said: I bought 12 boxes for $18 to help a friend's daughter. But I dislike them. I don't think they have any taste. No one I know likes them. I'll try to donate them.

Yes, correct. Here, the more you order, the price goes down per box. This was on the order sheet that my friend had. If you buy one box, they are approx $4. But the price goes down as the quantity goes up. The "best deal" was 12 for $18. So I bought 12, Plus I ordered 4 boxes on behalf of my.mom for $9. That's the way it is here, I kid you not! I brought them all to the teachers lounge at school yesterday and gave them away. I'm always amazed at how excited people get over girl scout cookies. Smiley Happy

Apparently cookie sale practices are different depending on the GS Council and what they dictate. Cookie sales are not until April in this area

I think you are absolutely right. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor
On 3/1/2015 I am still oxox said:

Yes that is true..Councils set the prices, and they could actually have quantity discounts (I hope this is the case)....but that would also mean, that the Council receives less money, the girls receive less money for their troops. Unfortunately, they still have to pay Mr. Cookie Man that same price per case, and unfortunately, National doesn't offer quantity discounts.

In the end, the girls lose. Sure, they gain experience, etc etc, but the troops lose, hence the girls.