Honored Contributor

Re: fun new work toy

[ Edited ]

Thanks....we got our quote today for the countertop and backspash today.  It was about what we figured it would cost.   We went with a quarz countertop and glass tile for the backsplash.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@raven-blackbirdraven---are you still here??

I have a *design* question for you.  Hope you don't mind free advice...lol

Can you have an oven (gas stove/oven) at the end of a counter? 

As in walk in the kitchen door and to your immediate left (or right), there will be an oven/stove?

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm  not if I could help it.........code generally calls for a "landing spot" to the right and left of a free standing range or a cooktop.........now a wall oven you can have at the end of the cabinet run

the best thing you could do is have at least a 9" cabinet at the end and the range next to it..............................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@Lucky Charm  not if I could help it.........code generally calls for a "landing spot" to the right and left of a free standing range or a cooktop.........now a wall oven you can have at the end of the cabinet run

the best thing you could do is have at least a 9" cabinet at the end and the range next to it..............................................raven

I thought so, too, raven.  There's room for at least a 12 inch cabinet (and countertop).  Just would've like more countertop space on the other side.

Thank you so much!!

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm  not a problem, glad to help...............................raven

Esteemed Contributor

@raven-blackbird

@Lucky Charm

I had a flashback when I read your posts!  Growing up we had a u-shaped kitchen with the gas range at the end by the door into the dining room.  It all happened so fast, but walking/running by, my braid caught on fire!

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@raven-blackbird

@Lucky Charm

I had a flashback when I read your posts!  Growing up we had a u-shaped kitchen with the gas range at the end by the door into the dining room.  It all happened so fast, but walking/running by, my braid caught on fire!

OH NO!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@magicmoodz wrote:

@raven-blackbird

@Lucky Charm

@magicmoodz   and THAT is exactly why code does not allow for a range at the end, especially near a door, it's a safety issue..........if you look at the building codes (which by the way there are nine disaplines of the building code) they are ALL about safety

the range deal is also a safety issue for other burn situations.......IF you are taking something hot out of the oven and it starts to burn your fingers, you need to be able to get rid of it.........a landing spot to the right or left allows you to get rid of the hot item if the range top is in use and had pot and pans on the burners

when I design, my goal is a 18" min. landing spot, if I can't get a larger size.........that's a good landing spot size also a good size for placing a purse and the keys or a bag of groceries as you come through the door.......................................raven

Honored Contributor

Raven what color are those kitchen cabinets.I think they look grey and I find that a fabulous look.

Honored Contributor

I'm in a quandry and hope someone (raven!) can help.

My kitchen sink will not be under a window, which is a first for me ever. 

What do you do? 

Those high cabinets that go over the fridge or a range hood?  They are useless to me because of height.  But bowls/serving dishes that I rarely use can get *stored* up there.

I'm almost afraid to do this because I'm so used to having a window above my sink.  I'm afraid it'll be depressing.lol.