Respected Contributor

Re: fun new work toy

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs  I had similar problem with finding a small microwave when I redid my kitchen a few years back.  I needed the shallowest depth possible as it was being boxed in underneath an upper cabinet.

We got a 1.1 cu ft in the GE Profile Series (PEM31SFSS)  (12 1/8 in x 24 in x 12 7/8 in)

While limited space inside and I believe only 700watts, it serves our purpose and fits in the space very well.  I don't know if it can be mounted above a stove (it has no fan to vent off the heat/steam from cooking on stovetop).  GE seems to have a lot of different sized microwaves, so you might find something there to meet your needs. 

One would think it would be a simple task to find a microwave, but not so.  And unfortunately when you do find something to work it is always more expensive.

Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

@magicmoodz........you're sights are dead on the money.......quartz is by far the best material for a kitchen countertop.........it's non-porous.....has a hardness of 8, so it won't scratch unless you take a diamond to it......it's an awesome material.........cost will always be slightly higher then granite, but it's more durable then granite and works better with tile backsplashes then granite..........I tell people to cut their price on the quartz by going with a plainer color choice and spend the money on the tile backsplash.......tile is a lot cheaper and it's at eye level..........the FRIST thing you see when you walk into the kitchen is the backsplash..........you have to walk right up on the counter to see it............so spend your money smarter and invest in the backsplash and get more bang for your buck................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Mom2Dogs  I had similar problem with finding a small microwave when I redid my kitchen a few years back.  I needed the shallowest depth possible as it was being boxed in underneath an upper cabinet.

We got a 1.1 cu ft in the GE Profile Series (PEM31SFSS)  (12 1/8 in x 24 in x 12 7/8 in)

While limited space inside and I believe only 700watts, it serves our purpose and fits in the space very well.  I don't know if it can be mounted above a stove (it has no fan to vent off the heat/steam from cooking on stovetop).  GE seems to have a lot of different sized microwaves, so you might find something there to meet your needs. 

One would think it would be a simple task to find a microwave, but not so.  And unfortunately when you do find something to work it is always more expensive.

Good Luck!

@Allegheny............I'm not sure, but I think GE had discontinued it's profile series.....................................raven

Esteemed Contributor

Re: fun new work toy

[ Edited ]

@raven-blackbird

I  too want to express my appreciation to you, raven, for your willingness to share your expertise with us.  You clearly love what you do, are very good at it and your enthusiasm is contagious! Thank you!

Respected Contributor

@raven-blackbird  You may be right.  I was just looked it up, but who knows how current their site is. 

If there are some still available, I better try and find one, because if mine dies, I'm up a creek without a paddle.

Respected Contributor

@magicmoodz  don't mention it...........I do love what I do, and I love sharing it........I do something that I love and it's fun........and bonus.........they pay me to do it.......how can ya beat that LOL

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny  I would do that............I went looking for a profile for one of my clients and if I'm not mistaken, I found out they were being discontinued........which saddened me greatly because they were my standard go to over the range microwave and built in microwave.................................raven

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

I honestly believe our kitchen cabs are the modular.  I like them, but will always dream about the cherry glazed cabs LOL!

Did you design the layout of the kitchen?

@MacDUFF yep. that I do have pictures of because we are installing it now.........it is WAY over the top........there are actually two 1/2 kitchens........well 3 1/2 if you count the outside one also.........inside a ''dirty kitchen".......and then the main kitchen.........upstairs a mini kitchen........and then the outside kitchen where the tandoor oven is, along with an undercounter drawer refer, dishwasher, grill and sink..........I designed all of those areas, along with the baths, pantry, laundry, storage areas.......just about every room in the house and outside it................there is also a 3500 sq. foot pool house I did for them..........................................raven

Honored Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@magicmoodz you're very welcome........just remember when dealing with modular cabinets.......four things will make the price go up or down.

1.  door style........the more ornate the door, the higher the cost due to the labor involved in fabricating the door

2, base material.........veneer over plywood construction is more money then veneer over engineered wood.

3,  finish........glazes and highlight can cost more with some companies

4.  raised panel/full overlay door or inset door..........is more expensive then a recessed panel/partial overlay door.

keep that in mind when picking and you can control your costs.........that's something we designers do for a client........................raven

Raven are those cabinets in that 10k kitchen a grey color?You did a beautiful job on that kitchen.

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Cool new tool/toy!

@raven-blackbird  can you tell me if once a backsplash is installed can it be 'drilled' into so a shelf can be hung?   We are putting in a new counter top and backsplash but I do need a small shelf below my cupboards in one area. I hate to lose my shelf, but will if necessary, thanks!

@Mom2Dogs

Yes, you can drill into the tile backsplash.I did it to mine and it was easy. All you need are tile/glass drillbits that you can buy anywhere. They have a point and come in different sizes.

It takes a while to make the hole, but it is easy. I drill holes in glass jars with the same type of bit.