Trusted Contributor
I had to get out of chrome went to a different browser with no issues. so maybe change your browser for forums?
Honored Contributor

Changing from Chrome browser to Edge did not help. That's on my Windows desktop.

When I use my Chromebook there are no problems with this forum. So strange I think.

Respected Contributor

I had to go by way of the dodo bird to chime in on this but the forums have been like this for me since maybe this past Tues/Wed.  In my mind, I'm thinking there's a big issue and I can't help but wonder if this is the end of them.  I'm no computer tech by a long shot, but this is the age of tech and I find it hard to understand why it can't be fixed.

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

I had to go by way of the dodo bird to chime in on this but the forums have been like this for me since maybe this past Tues/Wed.  In my mind, I'm thinking there's a big issue and I can't help but wonder if this is the end of them.  I'm no computer tech by a long shot, but this is the age of tech and I find it hard to understand why it can't be fixed.

Whatever the issue is, it isn't preventing anyone from using this board.  Posters need only change browsers.  This board is practically dead. Very little content is posted and it's just from a handful of us regulars.  The FACEBOOK group is where people go to post.  Whatever is going on is not affecting sales.  It's not affecting Qvc.com or any of the TV programming.  I don't know if it is a QVC problem but assuming it is, they'll fix it when they get around to it.  Their IT department has real problems to deal with.  There's no plot because this doesn't mean anything to QVC, they can take it down whenever they want.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@bmorechick wrote:

Whatever the issue is, it isn't preventing anyone from using this board.  Posters need only change browsers.  This board is practically dead. Very little content is posted and it's just from a handful of us regulars.  The FACEBOOK group is where people go to post.  Whatever is going on is not affecting sales.  It's not affecting Qvc.com or any of the TV programming.  I don't know if it is a QVC problem but assuming it is, they'll fix it when they get around to it.  Their IT department has real problems to deal with.  There's no plot because this doesn't mean anything to QVC, they can take it down whenever they want.  

Have to wonder if it was Russian hackers.  The Russians have been attacking websites for years now. I would not be surprised at all if they did this and QVC's tech team is at a loss to correct it.  The geopolitical world is very scary right now.

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

The problem will likely be easy to fix once they figure out what exactly it is. It could be a problem with the software being used by QVC. It could be that their server farms are updating their server software and that's causing the glitch. They could have added new hardware that's causing the conflict. It could be an updated piece of user software that has affected their software in some manner. There's no apparent common cause on the user side. It's not affecting just one browser or one operating system. It seems to be spreading which implies that as they update other servers with either their own software or the server software the problem grows. (Or as consumers' software updates the problem spreads.)

IT pros almost always assume the problem is a PICNIC (problem in chair, not computer) issue and they're dealing with stupid users. "All you have to do is clear your cache, reinstall the operating system, turn your computer upside down, and shake it for thirty minutes and it should be fine. You already did that, and it didn't work? Try shaking the computer for an hour." This is clearly not a PICNIC problem and seems to be spreading. 

Whenever there's a hardware or software change, some people will have issues. There are people out there still using Windows 95 and every combination of hardware/software you can imagine. Some people will always have an issue whenever anything changes. There is a tipping point though and we're well over the tipping point here. This is affecting a whole lot of people, so it's not an isolated issue.

No browser is immune. No operating system is immune. It seems to be a regional issue with certain parts of the country having more issues than others. And it seems to be spreading. I'm guessing they were still hoping it was an isolated problem and decided to update additional servers to see if the problem spread. It did. Now they have to figure out what the issue is.

It could be the server software was updated and that update is causing the trouble. If so, they have to either roll back the update or wait for their server OS to be patched. It could be a new server was installed/rented/bought and the hardware has issues with their software. They could have updated their software and not found the bug until it went into wider use. 

There are many options for what the problem could be and how to fix it. They just have to figure out the cause first, then the fix. It's clearly not a user/PICNIC problem. There's something else going on here. Something that we can't fix on the outside. 

If they haven't changed anything and the problem just popped up out of the blue, then it could have been caused by an update in some people's antivirus software or other software that's affecting QVC's software. There are times you sit there with your old stuff running just like it always did and suddenly a change someone else made to a computer's registry makes your software go wonky. That could be the issue.

When you try to solve a problem like this you look for commonality. Are all the problems coming from one server? Are all of the problems coming from one operating system? Are all of the problems coming from one version of our software? Are all of the problems somehow related to one another? Did we change software? Did we change hardware? Were there OS updates that caused the issue? (Unlikely since this affects both MACs and PCs.)

They know there's a problem. They just need to figure out the cause and find a fix. Finding a commonality helps a lot in finding the fix. Is it only affecting people using Norton antivirus? McAfee? Something else? There are a lot of possible variables and sorting through them to find the solution is what takes time. Something changed. And it changed in a bad way. What was it? How do we fix it? (And possibly more important. How much will it cost to fix it?) There is no problem that can't be fixed. It all comes down to cost.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The Russians are Coming!  The Russians are Coming!

Honored Contributor

Actually @chrystaltree, you're wrong about merely changing browsers. Clearly, I can get in and can use the forums but the hoops I have to jump through to do so are ludicrous, as is the website management here, just as it has been since its inception. I did try another browser and the experience was even worse. Moreover, there is no reason one should be forced to migrate from their browser of choice simply to accommodate an embarrassingly ineffective web presence. You're right, however, that these forums are a low priority for QVC and my personal opinion is that if they aren't going to timely address issues related to them, then they might just as well take them down instead of offering the half-baked mess we currently have. Those who want to go to Facebook have already done so. Many of us have chosen not to. Oh, and yes. this is QVC's problem. When hosts of users indicate a problem only on this site, then it ceases to be credible that it's anything else and suggesting a change of browser or clearing of history on the user end as solutions are nothing more than deflection.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I'm using Chrome and have had no problem at all.  This problem seems to be random and arbitrary.  Too bad the mods can't tell us what, if anything, is going on.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

As for this being a Russian hack, don't give them any ideas... Smiley Wink  This is their own ineptitude pure and simple... As for providing any information or updates, do they ever...? 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...