Honored Contributor

Re: for those alone on Christmas

@goldensrbest wrote:

What are you doing today?

@goldensrbest  Sending you a {{{hug}}} and hope you have a peaceful day. Did your goldens get special treats today??Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@halfpint1   Thinking of you and hoping you have a peaceful day.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

After reading this thread, I wonder if being "alone on Christmas" is becoming more commonplace.  Many have mobility issues that are better accomodated in one's own home environment.  As friends and family members relocate or pass on, some are left behind alone. 

As more of us encounter solitude during the holidays, it will be up to each individual to create a path to happiness.         

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

I'm going it alone.  I could have joined family out of town, but didn't want to be on the highway for a 160 mile round trip today, with all those who may be driving impaired, or otherwise stressed and distracted. With my recent luck?  Why risk it?

My project has been to take down my husband's Windows computer.  It's an older PC that still has Win 7. Although it works fine for my occasional tasks, it's too old to handle Win 10.  Those hanging onto Win 7 will be losing Microsoft support in January. Besides, I'm a Mac person and wouldn't want to reconfigure a new Win OS anyway.

I'm finding it a trigger for sadness, though. My hubby had this PC built for him to be optimal for gaming.  It was his relaxing time from very stressful work.  Every time I've entered the room, I can imagine him sitting there and it makes me smile. Taking it down is just another farewell.  I hate it, but it has to be done. Who knew an old PC could make one cry on Christmas day?

@BlueFinch   I'm sorry for your loss. It's strange what things or times bring back memories of the ones who've passed. This is my first year of "everything" without Mom. I cried making latkes because we used to do it together. Friends have said the more you cry, you more love you had for that person. I hope it gets easier for you. 

Honored Contributor

I'm watching Dexter on Showtime (one season each day for the next several days - S02 today) and doing not much else, aside from taking care of the dog, the house bird, and the birdies outside.  

Very peaceful and quiet.  I like that very much.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

After reading this thread, I wonder if being "alone on Christmas" is becoming more commonplace.  Many have mobility issues that are better accomodated in one's own home environment.  As friends and family members relocate or pass on, some are left behind alone. 

As more of us encounter solitude during the holidays, it will be up to each individual to create a path to happiness.         

@deepwaterdotter   That may be true. There should be a "welcome wagon" type group that does volunteer work to spend a few hours if someone would like company. Enjoy your day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

I'm watching Dexter on Showtime (one season each day for the next several days - S02 today) and doing not much else, aside from taking care of the dog, the house bird, and the birdies outside.  

Very peaceful and quiet.  I like that very much.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt   It's nice that you enjoy your own company and find ways to occupy your time. Happy 2020!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For brunch, I made myself quiche, crispy hash browns, and an orange plucked from the tree this morning.  (I admit, it was the proverbial low-hanging fruit I pass sometimes on walks with my dog.)  🍊

All was delicious.

Now, watching Stranger Things.  What a remarkable series.

I love having time alone.  Alone is completely different from being lonely, in case anyone forgets.

Have a lovely day, Everyone.  🎄❄🎅🤶❄🎄

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

For brunch, I made myself quiche, crispy hash browns, and an orange plucked from the tree this morning.  (I admit, it was the proverbial low-hanging fruit I pass sometimes on walks with my dog.)  🍊

All was delicious.

@GingerPeach   Sounds like a perfect brunch and a great day.

Valued Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

All was delicious.

I love having time alone.  Alone is completely different from being lonely, in case anyone forgets.

@GingerPeach Say that again please: Alone is completely different from being lonely, in case anyone forgets.  People just don't understand that there is a difference, I'm glad you get it.  Happy holidays to you.