Respected Contributor

for Hawaii residents - follow-up to yesterday's mistaken alert

i see that the Hawaii state emergency management worker who made this mistake is going to undergo counseling and retraining.  as i understand it he clicked on icon to send alert as well as answered "yes" to a redundancy question (do you REALLY want to do this?). 

was he not paying attention to what he was doing? or did he need more training to do it properly?

since it is your state's worker,do you agree with the action being taken regarding his employment?  or do we know enough to judge?

Respected Contributor

Re: for Hawaii residents - follow-up to yesterday's mistaken alert

Okay. Counsel this employee.  What about the rest?

Esteemed Contributor

While not a resident of Hawaii IMO that is a reasonable course of action provided the error occurred due to inattention during the handover rather than distraction due to the employee texting, being on a cell phone, etc.

However, the situation as described raises a question in my mind about the employee to whom the transfer was being made.  Was s/he too not paying attention?

I think all relevant employees should undergo refresher training.

My larger concern is why it took so long to correct the situation. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

Anyone who makes a mistake like that should be transferred to another job or fired outright.  This seems to be a very strange situation.  I'm not sure if state officials will ever tell the truth about this entire fiasco.  How could this false alarm stay active for so long without anyone fixing it while the population panicked?

Respected Contributor

I think it was a provocation by someone to cause th US reaction

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

While not a resident of Hawaii IMO that is a reasonable course of action provided the error occurred due to inattention during the handover rather than distraction due to the employee texting, being on a cell phone, etc.

However, the situation as described raises a question in my mind about the employee to whom the transfer was being made.  Was s/he too not paying attention?

I think all relevant employees should undergo refresher training.

My larger concern is why it took so long to correct the situation. 

@Marp  actually the alert was stopped quickly.  but they had to manually send out a notice cancelling it and that is what took time - according to press conference yesterday.  i assume they will build in a quicker, automated way to handle this as they review their systems after this.

Respected Contributor

@OfCourse  the FCC has opened an inquiry so more eyeballs will check this over.

Contributor

I am no techie, but it seems to me there shouldn't be anything about issuing an emergency alert on same file as where employee signs off his shift. Also, this individual should be fired ASAP! HI has no bomb shelters. Hiding in a bath tub to protect yourself from nuclear fallout is not like avoiding a tornado!

Esteemed Contributor

Hawaii needs to look at their preparedness plan and screen those who implement it.  We in NJ/NY area took that seriously after 9/11.   The Hudson Valley area does emergency response messages daily and tells residents what to do in the event. 

The ideation that Washington is at fault is outlandish....every area of the Country has unique threats to them and every state has a plan.  The problem is communication of the plan and people taking the initiative to learn it.  Why do individuals feel the federal government is responsible for their every need.  Do you have a lock on your door for security/safety?   Even my condo building has an emergency plan and we do exercises with local emergency services.  We live right on the Hudson River so we are at risk.  Folks, America is at risk....wake up!  Instead of bickering about political differences or demeaning people who have such plans....use your time effectively 

Esteemed Contributor

@Cruzzing wrote:

I am no techie, but it seems to me there shouldn't be anything about issuing an emergency alert on same file as where employee signs off his shift. Also, this individual should be fired ASAP! HI has no bomb shelters. Hiding in a bath tub to protect yourself from nuclear fallout is not like avoiding a tornado!

@Cruzzing- the techie may have been working long, sick or new....we don't know.  The office of emergency services bears responsibility.  Why would such a button be so accessible?  The State is responsible for its citizens and having a credible plan.  Hawaii has a tsunami warning system....but, there are credible new threats facing them....they should have developed a plan long ago; North Korea is not a new threat