Trusted Contributor

Re: for Hawaii residents - follow-up to yesterday's mistaken alert

There was an account of a person who flew from the main island to where I'm not sure but was very upset as they couldn't get a flight back home right away. It was because of that, I mentioned it at all thinking it must have happened to many others. 

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I can totally understand pushing the wrong button.  It's the clicking through the do you really want to that seems off.  At work, we have a transaction where users click into it when they shouldn't.  We have three messages that have to be clicked through giving the reason why you shouldn't continue.  New users click right on through.  Of course, it's nothing compared to an emergency message.

This why it seems fishy.  You need to hit more than one button to confirm the alert.  There may be more to this story.  And the shift change timeframe is odd.  No one is giving any information on exactly how this happened and who is responsible.

Respected Contributor

the FCC is looking into this having already stated that proper system safeguards were not in place in Hawaii.  it may be that the system was not designed well, implicating it  as well as the employee -- who has officially been re-assigned.  i am sure we will learn more and hopefully it will help Hawaii - and all states - with emergency preparedness.  something good needs to come of this.

Esteemed Contributor

This was a very serious error.IMO the employee in question needs to be fired or reassigned to a department far away from any kind of alert systems!!

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

My biggest concern is why it took 37 MINUTES to say it was a mistake.

Contributor

They still don't know why it took so long to issue a false alarm statement.  The news said Hawaii Emergency Management was waiting for permission from FEMA but FEMA said that no permission is needed from them.  They are obviously not prepared for this kind of alert.  Hurricanes, Tsunamis yes very prepared but missle attack no.

The person who did it was transferred with no access to those buttons.  They also said the employee was getting death threats.

The Govenor took responsibility as did the head of the agency.  FEMA or the FCC (I don't remember which one) wants a full account of what happened and what steps are being taken to prevent it from happening again.

Me, I slept through the whole thing and didn't know about it until I was channel surfing and landed on CNN.  I don't even know if the siren went off since I really can't hear it from my house.

Valued Contributor

They have to get permission from Pacific Command to rescind a warning like that. 

Honored Contributor

Now the guy who pushed the button is getting death threats.

Respected Contributor

there was a screenshot of screen in question on Twitter -  it looked like a program from the 1990's.  serious update needed it looks like.