Respected Contributor

flags to be flown at half-mast

to honor the victims in Parkland, FL  flags on government/public buildings/vessels/embassies, etc,  here and overseas are ordered to half-staff until sunset 2/19.

Godspeed to all touched by this horrible massacre.

QVC Customer Care

Re: flags to be flown at half-mast

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Although the issues surrounding gun controlI are paramount here, I do not want to get zapped so I’ll address other issues involved in the horrific mass shootings our country faces all too often. Those in charge of social media need to take more responsibility, to come up with a way to flag those threats like those the alleged school shooter posted. We also need to come up with a protocol to encourage friends, acquaintances, and family members to report to authorities the tell-tale signs such as those exhibited by this shooter. Killing animals and physically abusing others seem to be common threads in the histories of these murderers. Those behaviors are illegal and they seem to be precursors  to what we have seen all too many times.

As far as mental heath services are concerned, of course we must provide more yet budget cuts for mental health services seem more common than increases these days. The school district did nothing else after expelling the shooter. I assume no budget allocations exist for follow-up mental health services for students who are too dangerous to be in school. I will not accept the notion that more carnage must be inevitable. We seem to have the will and can find the money to stop terrorist acts that are hatched in far away places, yet we cannot find the motivation to stop the domestic terrorists in our own communities.

Honored Contributor

Maybe start in the home 🏠. Unfortunately there has been violence and evil since the beginning of time. Groups, lone wolf, there will always be someone wanting to make a statement.

Valued Contributor

Expelling a problem student only pushes the problem off on someone else. It doesn't "fix" the problem. It's "I don't want to deal with this so you take care of it". A Grandmother reported her Grandson out in Washington State when she found that he planned on doing something like this. That's the kind of action it takes, not sweeping it off onto some other school. The idea that expelling a student makes it go away never works. Schools have to stop being blind and deaf and act. It can't be protect the school's good name at all costs. They see these sorts of things building up. At the very least report it to someone.

Honored Contributor

I just find this incredibly sad. All these children, with their whole lives ahead of them, cut down with a horrible violent act of one. My heart breaks for all of the suffering families. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I don't think flying the flag at half staff should ever be done.  Period.  It suggests our nation is bowing to something and I don't think that should be done any more especially in these times.  I think it should fly high to symbolize that we as a nation are one people and we will take on our issues, our problems and our enemies in a joint and united front.

That being said, I think it is wonderful for victims to be remembered and memorialized, and for all of us to reach out to their families and loved ones in meaningful ways. 

Trusted Contributor

"See something, say something... do something".  My company has taken this stance in recent years around safety, and I think it holds true for a case like this terrible shooting.  The news reports indicate there were many red flags with this kid, yet nothing was done.  When you think about it, though, what could've been done? 

Respected Contributor

families are mourning, as is the nation.  let's stay unified and respectful.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditionalwrote:

families are mourning, as is the nation.  let's stay unified and respectful.

@ms traditional  ^THIS

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh