Honored Contributor

Re: flags to be flown at half-mast

@Soonerwrote:

I don't think flying the flag at half staff should ever be done.  Period.  It suggests our nation is bowing to something and I don't think that should be done any more especially in these times.  I think it should fly high to symbolize that we as a nation are one people and we will take on our issues, our problems and our enemies in a joint and united front.

That being said, I think it is wonderful for victims to be remembered and memorialized, and for all of us to reach out to their families and loved ones in meaningful ways. 

I feel that flying our flag at half staff shows the incredible respect we have for those suffering in our nation in this sad time. A great tribute in my eyes.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I don't favor the flag lowering, but I wouldn't get into a fight over it.

What I do oppose, and strongly, is the releasing of balloons. How does damaging the environment and killing wildlife honor the victims?

Honored Contributor

@ID2wrote:

@Soonerwrote:

I don't think flying the flag at half staff should ever be done.  Period.  It suggests our nation is bowing to something and I don't think that should be done any more especially in these times.  I think it should fly high to symbolize that we as a nation are one people and we will take on our issues, our problems and our enemies in a joint and united front.

That being said, I think it is wonderful for victims to be remembered and memorialized, and for all of us to reach out to their families and loved ones in meaningful ways. 

I feel that flying our flag at half staff shows the incredible respect we have for those suffering in our nation in this sad time. A great tribute in my eyes.

But at what point is the flag lowered all the time, and at what point does it become so common it is no longer noticed, and how do we decide whose suffering is "enough" to lower the national flag?  I don't know what the answers to this are except to fly it proudly whatever we go through.