Honored Contributor

Re: first time going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving

@Allegheny wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  

I guess I would like to eat out for Thanksgiving.  DH always vetoed it because of the lack of leftovers, but he is coming around to my way thinking.  This year we just decided to stay home, though we did get two invites.   With just the two of us, I don't go all out just the ususal Thanksgiving fare and thus don't get frazzled.

If you do go out, cook a mini Thanksgiving dinner for later and for leftovers the next day because husband is correct; you will indeed miss the leftovers.  That's why I send my guests home with a lot of leftovers, including dessert.  

Respected Contributor

I've gone out for Thanksgiving for years and quite enjoy it.  When you have a very small family, it just isn't worth cooking and I don't care about the leftovers.  Most of the time it's been a high quality buffet at a nice restaurant.  Many restaurants do a nice Thanksgiving here although it can be expensive.  One year we did a late seating brunch which was nice too. 

Honored Contributor

I would love to have that experience, but I also want the leftovers.  Oh no!!!

That's both ways!  I'm sunk!!!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

@Jamma wrote:

Best Thanksgiving for me.  Not a turkey lover---I HAD lOBSTER.  It was great.

were having homemade tamales!! chili rellenos, chicken enchiladas, and homemade refried beans. pico, guac and sour cream on the table. 

can't wait.  neither of us really care too much for turkey.

-------------------

Lucky you...many of my favorite foods!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Several years ago,  I prepped/cooked/baked for several days forT Day dinner. My male guests gulped their food down because they wanted to watch an  'important' football game!  That was the last time I offered to host T Day meal!!  I was so offended and irritated.  From then on, we went out to eat and worked holiday dinner schedule around the different games.  No exhauted, busy prep days and no leftovers, but no cleanup...an easy, calm day!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@corita wrote:

Several years ago,  I prepped/cooked/baked for several days forT Day dinner. My male guests gulped their food down because they wanted to watch an  'important' football game!  That was the last time I offered to host T Day meal!!  I was so offended and irritated.  From then on, we went out to eat and worked holiday dinner schedule around the different games.  No exhauted, busy prep days and no leftovers, but no cleanup...an easy, calm day!!!

@corita  wow, i feel for you on that one. that would frost my cookies big time. 

nothing worse that busting your tail, making a really nice dinner, and the "wolves" woof it down.  no appreciation of the effort you went through.

Esteemed Contributor

When it is just a few of us we always go out for various holidays.   Fortunately my husband is totally on board with it.   Very relaxing and enjoyable for all of us. 

Super Contributor

We went to a restaurant for Thanksgiving last year and it was so nice!💕 -HIF
Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.
Respected Contributor

A long time ago we went out. My second son was about 18 months old. He started to cry and would not stop. Took him home and he went to sleep. I had made a turkey thankfully. Family came home and we had desert. That was the first and last time for us.

Honored Contributor

@corita, I love Thanksgiving.  I would do my dinner the weekend before.