Respected Contributor

Re: first time going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  

I guess I would like to eat out for Thanksgiving.  DH always vetoed it because of the lack of leftovers, but he is coming around to my way thinking.  This year we just decided to stay home, though we did get two invites.   With just the two of us, I don't go all out just the ususal Thanksgiving fare and thus don't get frazzled.

Valued Contributor

Years ago I made it an annual tradition to take everyone out to a Thanksgiving brunch buffet at a fancy hotel. I loved it. No stress, good food. My mom is super picky about  food, and hyper-critical about my home and cooking, so it was great to enjoy a holiday with everyone without all the mom-fussing. We went every year for many years. Unfortunately the hotel changed ownership and jacked the brunch price up to $50/person. Not including gratuity or drinks. Woman Sad So that ended that. Haven't found any other good restaurants or hotels in the area that offer Thanksgiving dinner, so it's back to cooking. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetghThe Waffle House brings back good memories.  Some years ago we were driving from Chicago to Orlando for Christmas/New Year's Eve.  We were on the road Chrismas Eve and needless to say, every restaurant we saw was closed except a Waffle House.  So that was our delicious Christmas Eve dinner.  BTW the place was packed and we left a very large tip.  Good memory!

Esteemed Contributor

we’ve done it twice and while it’s nice, I miss the homemade taste and of course leftovers for pot pies and sandwiches 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH and I went to Golden Corral for our Thanksgiving dinner this year and it was great - lots to choose from, in addition to all the traditional dishes! Downside, of course, is no leftovers... but no cleanup either! 😊

Esteemed Contributor

Even though we've lived far apart for decades, my large family always had big Thanksgiving dinners in someone's home (we took turns hosting), but one year for some reason everyone was unavailable except my sister's family and mine (our husbands and kids.)  Since we lived 4 hours apart at the time, we decided to meet in the middle.  So we found a nice restaurant, made reservations, and met there.  It was really lovely - A nice, big room with a beautiful fireplace, wonderful service, and no one rushed us at all. 

It was the most unconventional Thanksgiving I've ever had, but when I look at the photos, they always make me smile because I remember how much we wanted to be together, and how we made that happen.

Honored Contributor

Twice I have done it.  I think it is kind of fun.  There aren't many places around here that stay open on Thanksgiving  and serve a decent meal.  We went to Bob Evans once and they had quite a nice traditional meal.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNut wrote:

We have gone to Cracker Barrel the past few years for their turnkey dinner.  I aways tip the waiter/waitress very very good.  They are working on the holiday so I don't have too. 

My sister has done Cracker Barrel several times and it works well for her family.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

Even though we've lived far apart for decades, my large family always had big Thanksgiving dinners in someone's home (we took turns hosting), but one year for some reason everyone was unavailable except my sister's family and mine (our husbands and kids.)  Since we lived 4 hours apart at the time, we decided to meet in the middle.  So we found a nice restaurant, made reservations, and met there.  It was really lovely - A nice, big room with a beautiful fireplace, wonderful service, and no one rushed us at all. 

It was the most unconventional Thanksgiving I've ever had, but when I look at the photos, they always make me smile because I remember how much we wanted to be together, and how we made that happen.

@NYC Susan  Very sweet story. It's all really about the fellowship and nothing else......well maybe the food. 

Honored Contributor

I think it depends on the restaurant you go to; some do it very well.  Other's not so well.  We went out once about 12 years ago, there were 10 or 12 of us.  It was after my mom passed away and we were all trying figure out how to do the holidays without her.  We chose a nice restaurant that we all knew but the meal and service were awful; I believe it was because the restuarant was packed and they were shuffling diners in and out as as quickly as possible.  the only one who enjoyed her mean was my middle sister because she didn't order the turkey.  It was just a bad turkey dinner, there was a lot of it but it was so bad that no one wanted to take any of it home.  My husband and the girls were hungry late in the evening, everything was closed so hubby made a pancakes, eggs and sausages.