Honored Contributor

Re: first time going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Lucky you!!  I would love to go OUT but DH wouldn’t have it. He insists we do it all here every year. It’s so much work... oh well, I am thankful anyway- Happy Day all ! 

Here’s HOPING  He REALLY means “WE....”

Respected Contributor

Happy Thanksgiving, it's not where you have it that counts. For me it's about gathering. Friends and family that we are still lucky enough to have with us and are grateful to be able to enjoy some great food.

I am thankful for these blessings!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

Eeek Panda!  Wow, shocking and disturbing....

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

I waitressed at a Sheraton Hotel years ago and I would never go out for any holiday. First of all, I could not believe the local people that ate out, never heard of eating out on a holiday. We always had 400 to 600 (was the most) reservations. It was so busy that there was no time to wash silverware so it was rinsed off, dryed and put back on the table. Sides were served family style. What didn't get eaten went back to the kitchen and reused. Sorry if this is upsetting but this is what happened.

@panda1234.  That restaurant could have gotten in big big trouble for both of those infractions.

Esteemed Contributor

For years I worked really hard to create a Thanksgiving feast. By the time I served the meal, I was exhausted. Several years ago I officially retired from Thanksgiving dinner at home. Eating out has allowed me to enjoy my family as well as the food. We’ve gone to two different restaurants over the last several years and all I can say is they are always packed at Thanksgiving. Obviously, I’m not the only one who prefers that someone else do the cooking.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

I waitressed at a Sheraton Hotel years ago and I would never go out for any holiday. First of all, I could not believe the local people that ate out, never heard of eating out on a holiday. We always had 400 to 600 (was the most) reservations. It was so busy that there was no time to wash silverware so it was rinsed off, dryed and put back on the table. Sides were served family style. What didn't get eaten went back to the kitchen and reused. Sorry if this is upsetting but this is what happened.

@panda1234.  That restaurant could have gotten in big big trouble for both of those infractions.

You are so right about that @proudlyfromNJ. Another thing that sticks in my mind is never go out to eat close to closing time. Someone did and ordered veal oscar. The cook had already put the hollandaise sauce need for this in the trash and oh yes he scooped it out and it went on the plate. 

Trusted Contributor

Enjoy and cherish the day with your family and eat some delicious food, and just think there won't be any dishes to wash !!!!

Esteemed Contributor

We tried it some years back & although the feast was delicious we didn’t care for it.There is something about Thanksgiving for us that makes it more enjoyable to have it home.It’s informal.We like moving around, picking on food all day,watching football etc.

Now Easter is a different story.The vibe is different for us . We can enjoy it equally whether we go out or stay in.

Whichever way you choose to do it I hope you all have a great day!! 🦃🍻🏈

Honored Contributor

Made the mistake of going once.  It's just DH and me and although it was an "upscale" restaurant, there were a lot of kids, very noisy and crowded.  This year we're going out on Friday!!

Honored Contributor

I go out with my best friend and her husband and their family.  We've been doing this for about 3-4 years now and thoroughly enjoy it.  It's a lovely restaurant and, as with so many other restaurants, reservations must be made way early for Thanksgiving.