Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: first time going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving

I came to hate Thanksgiving.  My mom would insist on cooking a big meal and everything HAD to be done on the day.  So we sweated and slaved and cooked and it was always boiling hot.  We sat down and ate and then we cleaned and put up until 3:30 or later.  

The meal was ok, but i was sick of it by the time it got on the table.  My dad and aunt and uncle and husband enjoyed it, or mom's family some years, and at the end of the day I was hot and tired and exhausted.  

It's been downhill for me ever since then!  LOL!!!!

I think this year, it's just the two of us and we agree never again.  We'll do pancakes and bacon or if the weather's nice grill some burgers and enjoy the day!  

Valued Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

Restaurants who offer thanksgiving meals usually charge more for it.  I don't like paying more at a restaurant just because it's a Thanksgiving meal.  I'd like to see their kitchen first...I'm sure there's plenty to turn your stomach.  

I have NEVER gone to a restaurant for Thanksgiving and don't intend to. I would much rather host Thanksgiving dinner either in my home or at a family member or a friend's home - much more intimate and relaxed, and I know who's doing the cooking.

Esteemed Contributor

As some of us get older we don't want all the work. And when we become widows also. Then and now we go to buffets and all you can eat.

Respected Contributor

Growing up we only had turkey at Thanksgiving or maybe Christmas so it seemed really special.  Now my husband buys a turkey breast throughout the year and cooks it.  Some restaurants now serve Turkey and dressing all year.  So turkey has lost some of its specialness for me. Once we ate out at a restaurant in New Orleans on Thanksgiving and they did a Cajun flair to the Turkey dinner and it was sooo good.  

Valued Contributor

First time ever, ordered feast from Bob Evans, everything was cooked, just heated everything up, put in serving dishes, & enjoyed! It was wonderful!  Way too much food for 9 of us, lots of leftovers, we plan to do it again next year!