Trusted Contributor

Re: first time going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Lucky you!!  I would love to go OUT but DH wouldn’t have it. He insists we do it all here every year. It’s so much work... oh well, I am thankful anyway- Happy Day all ! 

Hope he does most of the work.  Nice to want a home cooked Thanksgiving meal, but it takes an awful lot of prep and clean up and can create a lot of stress.  Maybe a compromise? Order dinner ahead of time.  That's popular here.  That way you can eat at home.  You can make one or two of your favorite dishes and leave the rest of the cooking to someone else.  Something to think about next year.  Happy Turkey Day.

Respected Contributor

I'm jealous.  My DH isn't ready to let go of leftovers.  Enjoy

Trusted Contributor

Restaurants who offer thanksgiving meals usually charge more for it.  I don't like paying more at a restaurant just because it's a Thanksgiving meal.  I'd like to see their kitchen first...I'm sure there's plenty to turn your stomach.  

Respected Contributor

If we’re home, we go out to eat. I HATE making a full turkey dinner. Around here, you have to make your Thanksgiving dinner reservations at least 2 to 3 weeks ahead of time if you want to go to one of the nicer restaurants. One of our favorite places to go for holiday dinners is a local sports pub. Their restaurant is big (3 floors) and they offer your choice of turkey, ham or a combination of the two, with all the trimmings. They don’t take reservations, but we’ve always been able to be seated when we arrived. You can dress casually or dress up, if you like. Finally, the food’s delicious with none of the stress of cooking all day. 

Honored Contributor

We were in Florida last year for Thanksgiving.  It was our first time away from home for a holiday.  I loved it.  LOL

I did miss the leftovers and the way the house smelled though.  I felt bad for all the people that were working that day.  

Respected Contributor

We've done it several times as both a table service meal and an extravagant buffet.  I hated the crowded lobby waiting for our table and I'm not a fan of watching people sample items as they go through the buffet line.

My Thanksgiving dinner is my husband's favorite meal.  As long as I can do it for him, I will.  I enjoy sitting in our dining room, sipping all the champagne I want and not feeling rushed.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

I waitressed at a Sheraton Hotel years ago and I would never go out for any holiday. First of all, I could not believe the local people that ate out, never heard of eating out on a holiday. We always had 400 to 600 (was the most) reservations. It was so busy that there was no time to wash silverware so it was rinsed off, dryed and put back on the table. Sides were served family style. What didn't get eaten went back to the kitchen and reused. Sorry if this is upsetting but this is what happened.

@panda1234.  That restaurant could have gotten in big big trouble for both of those infractions.

You are so right about that @proudlyfromNJ. Another thing that sticks in my mind is never go out to eat close to closing time. Someone did and ordered veal oscar. The cook had already put the hollandaise sauce need for this in the trash and oh yes he scooped it out and it went on the plate. 

@panda1234   had some sketchy experiences at a Sheraton. there was an annual 3 day conference that my work held every year.  i worked a booth and always brought my own food after the first year, because one time i was served undercooked chicken w blood pooling and my boss order Ahi Tuna that was rotting.  There was no way you could mistake the odor of that tuna  It was late in the day too. Another time there were box lunches being prepared by a handful of kitchen staff for hundreds of attendees in a 90 degree room off the kitchen. dozens of attendees got food poisoning from their lunches. then one time the plumbing backed up into a large conference room, soaking the carpet with...yup. The room should have been immediately evacuated. My boss was po'd because I walked out. Hazardous waste.

Trusted Contributor

We have gone to Cracker Barrel the past few years for their turnkey dinner.  I aways tip the waiter/waitress very very good.  They are working on the holiday so I don't have too. 

Respected Contributor

@Jamma wrote:

Best Thanksgiving for me.  Not a turkey lover---I HAD lOBSTER.  It was great.

were having homemade tamales!! chili rellenos, chicken enchiladas, and homemade refried beans. pico, guac and sour cream on the table. 

can't wait.  neither of us really care too much for turkey.

Respected Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

I waitressed at a Sheraton Hotel years ago and I would never go out for any holiday. First of all, I could not believe the local people that ate out, never heard of eating out on a holiday. We always had 400 to 600 (was the most) reservations. It was so busy that there was no time to wash silverware so it was rinsed off, dryed and put back on the table. Sides were served family style. What didn't get eaten went back to the kitchen and reused. Sorry if this is upsetting but this is what happened.

@panda1234.  That restaurant could have gotten in big big trouble for both of those infractions.

You are so right about that @proudlyfromNJ. Another thing that sticks in my mind is never go out to eat close to closing time. Someone did and ordered veal oscar. The cook had already put the hollandaise sauce need for this in the trash and oh yes he scooped it out and it went on the plate. 

@panda1234   had some sketchy experiences at a Sheraton. there was an annual 3 day conference that my work held every year.  i worked a booth and always brought my own food after the first year, because one time i was served undercooked chicken w blood pooling and my boss order Ahi Tuna that was rotting.  There was no way you could mistake the odor of that tuna  It was late in the day too. Another time there were box lunches being prepared by a handful of kitchen staff for hundreds of attendees in a 90 degree room off the kitchen. dozens of attendees got food poisoning from their lunches. then one time the plumbing backed up into a large conference room, soaking the carpet with...yup. The room should have been immediately evacuated. My boss was po'd because I walked out. Hazardous waste.

Speaking of carpet@miimosa another Sheraton story. There was a large wedding going on. Roast beef with gravy was the entree. There was a threshold the cart carring the food had to go over. This cart had about 20 shelves with maybe 6 plates on each shelf. It didn't take the bump well and the plates flew. They just scooped up the roast beef added more gravy and on they went.