Occasional Contributor

first time going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving

Has any of you ever gone out for Thanksgiving dinner?  I have a large family, but since my mom passed away years ago, my siblings and I have switched off hosting over the years.   So this year, my sister suggested a nice restaurant (recommended by her friend)  and there are 12 of us going.  Many other family members live too far, or are spending the day with their spouse's family.  As much as I will miss having dinner, I am so looking forward to going out and being served and not have to cook all day and then clean up!  I do cook a lot at home for on a regular basis, so this is a treat for the family.  Just wanted to get some of your thoughts on going out?  HAPPY THANKSGIVING! 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: first time going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving

We did that several times and had a great experience.  We would always go to someone's home after for dessert and snacks and to socialize.  Much less stress.  

Honored Contributor

We have done it for years. I am sure it will be an enjoyable day for you. It is so nice just to walk away, and leave the mess for someone else

Happy Thanksgiving

Trusted Contributor

Best Thanksgiving for me.  Not a turkey lover---I HAD lOBSTER.  It was great.

Honored Contributor

Yes many times years ago.  It was buffet style and very good.  However, there was no leftovers to munch on the next day or two.  

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Now that we’re older with less family, we switched from cooking at home to going out to a restaurant and love it.  The restaurant where we go has beautiful views and a buffet with lots of variety – roast turkey, ham, roast beef, salmon, chicken, pork, seafood, various vegetables, salads and desserts.  The place is always packed so reservations must be made in advance.  I was surprised at the number of people that choose to go out for Thanksgiving.

Enjoy your day! No cooking or cleaning. 

Respected Contributor

Back when we were just about ready to move here in 2001, we took the family to Thanksgiving dinner at a buffet at Holiday Inn. It was OK, and of course handy at the time. Today I'm making dinner for 7. I think if I have 7  again, we will go out to eat. In the long run it's probably about the same cost wise, but of course a lot easier. Enjoy your day!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lucky you!!  I would love to go OUT but DH wouldn’t have it. He insists we do it all here every year. It’s so much work... oh well, I am thankful anyway- Happy Day all ! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have done it in the past and loved it.  The "buffet" was in a very swanky hotel with lots of carving stations, delicious food, and someone to wait on you. Of course, there are tradeoffs, you do not have turkey for sandwiches the next day, but who cares LOL.  No clean-up or hours spent preparing the perfect meal.

Respected Contributor

I waitressed at a Sheraton Hotel years ago and I would never go out for any holiday. First of all, I could not believe the local people that ate out, never heard of eating out on a holiday. We always had 400 to 600 (was the most) reservations. It was so busy that there was no time to wash silverware so it was rinsed off, dryed and put back on the table. Sides were served family style. What didn't get eaten went back to the kitchen and reused. Sorry if this is upsetting but this is what happened.