Regular Contributor

Re: feeling sorry for a nice lady behind the desk at my Drs office

[ Edited ]

@tansy

My mom became good friends with a coworker after they both retired some years ago.  This woman, Helen, held her age very close to the vest.  We really didn't know how old she was until she died.  Anyway, my mom used to drive her to her doctors appointments (she never drove; my mom does).  At one appointment, a nurse asked Helen her age.  Without missing a beat, Helen told her, "it's inside there (meaning in the chart), you can look it up if you want to know."

Trusted Contributor

@cherry  I agree. HIPAA or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, passed in 1996 two decades or so ago has been used as a tool to bludgeon instead of protect. It was originally passed to protect the privacy of those patients who suffered from certain diseases deeming these diseases so horrific that if others knew about these patients they would recoil from associating with them. That being said, fast forward two decades. It is now being used by healthcare institutions to hide behind the law to shield themselves from all manner of items in releasing information etc. And, to shield themselves from liability or accountability. For instance as a story, I am acquainted with two physicians whose son fell at camp. He was airlifted to a Trauma Level One Hospital. Do you think either of these parents could get any information on their minor son? The Healthcare Institution hid behind HIPAA. And, before anyone starts braying about privacy, place yourself squarely in that situation. Feel the panic of the parent, feel the agony of not knowing whether your son was alive or dead. By the way, he did fine.

The situation described by the OP fits into the category of boorish. Perhaps it is time for the office to state, that due to privacy regulations, we can no longer make appointments for you. You must now make them yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

One thing I don't like having to do is announce my birthdate in front of an entire crowd ... pharmacy... doctors office. Seems that should be private. Other than that I have no problem telling them my name.  LOL

Trusted Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

@cherry  I agree. HIPAA or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, passed in 1996 two decades or so ago has been used as a tool to bludgeon instead of protect. It was originally passed to protect the privacy of those patients who suffered from certain diseases deeming these diseases so horrific that if others knew about these patients they would recoil from associating with them. That being said, fast forward two decades. It is now being used by healthcare institutions to hide behind the law to shield themselves from all manner of items in releasing information etc. And, to shield themselves from liability or accountability. For instance as a story, I am acquainted with two physicians whose son fell at camp. He was airlifted to a Trauma Level One Hospital. Do you think either of these parents could get any information on their minor son? The Healthcare Institution hid behind HIPAA. And, before anyone starts braying about privacy, place yourself squarely in that situation. Feel the panic of the parent, feel the agony of not knowing whether your son was alive or dead. By the way, he did fine.

The situation described by the OP fits into the category of boorish. Perhaps it is time for the office to state, that due to privacy regulations, we can no longer make appointments for you. You must now make them yourself.

Thank you for explaining that.  I never really knew how or why HIPAA originated.  From my experiences in clinics, hospitals, and pharmacies, personnel can be a little overbearing or rude enforcing it.  

Honored Contributor

@Deanie  THANK YOU for explaining the history of HIPAA as many don't know the facts about it. Personally, I HATE it due to the extreme hypocrisy of the medical community when it comes to how they use it.

Don't get me started..... *insert extremely ticked off emotican in this space*

Valued Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

One thing I don't like having to do is announce my birthdate in front of an entire crowd ... pharmacy... doctors office. Seems that should be private. Other than that I have no problem telling them my name.  LOL

The last time I was asked my birthdate - I told the receptionist that I was born in 18--.  Then I told her that I look pretty good for someone 150 years old.  That cracked up some of the people in the waiting room.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter

When in the room without a nurse, I do call most of my physicians by their first name, but, many of them are also personal friends. With others present it is always "doctor", even my nephew-in-law.

Unfortunately in some waiting areas I so frequently spent time, there are at times more than 1 fellow named John, and some waiting areas at our hospital, have several sections, some not by the door where your name is called. I really don't care who hears my full name, why would I? Social and important documents, different story than my name/phone etc.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Hippa, smippa. Nastiness has just become the new normal, for a lot of people( and it's been like this for a long time, and getting worse) ,and they will use any excuse, to take their own problems ,and hateful personality ,out on anyone they can

If I were to be friends with either of them, I know who I would choose, and who I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole

OK then!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I noticed that the employee who handles billing at one of the doctors I go to is now in the supply closet.  She has a folding table with her phone and laptop on it.

They could at least get her a regular desk.

My long time former employer used to call that "cost reduction", and it was/is a multi-billion $$$ business. Hey, if a folding table works for a person treated as a (#), gotta save a few bucks!

We used to wear washed cotton gloves(a necessity because of the nature of the greasy/dirty job) that didn't fit those with big hands, couldn't afford a new pair per operator per shift?  "COST REDUCTION", as long as you weren't a somebody!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I do not care if I have to give my birthdate at the doctor's office or at the pharmacy. *shrug*

I did resent having other patients learn about my polyp after my colonoscopy last year. 

All of us patients were sitting in individual cubbies and could hear everything going on.

I felt like saying why don't you display my lovely butt on one of those TV screens used at sporting events so that everyone can see what you are talking about.  

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh