Respected Contributor

Re: feeling sorry for a nice lady behind the desk at my Drs office

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I usually never do this, but I actually gave the med. facility wher I was treated recently a bad review. I wouldn't have done this except they kept bugging me in my email to do a survey , so I finally did. My problem was my inability to hear, and almost every person from the desk person to the nurses and the doc himself, had to be asked repeatedly to speak up. It is an ENT clinic, and I wanted to say Dude what don't you understand about I can't hear ?  It is so important to understand instructions at a Dr. appt., so I was frustrated.  The evaluation wasn't all bad though, the NA.who was so concerned about my BP, and made sure I followed up got a great evaluation. I never had to ask her to speak up. The lady you speak of made a big deal over nothing, and that's a shame.

@QVCkitty1  Be very careful who you give a bad review to.  I just heard recently on the radio a patient gave a doctor a bad review and said she misdiagnosed her, plus she accused the doctor of ordering unneeded medical tests.  

‘’The doctor got very upset over this false information, and sued the patient for tons of money.  The doctor won her case and the patient was ordered to pay a huge amount of money to the doctor.  The doctor stated it’s not the money she was awarded it was the fact that her practice was in jeopardy by false reviews.  I applaud the doctor for challenging this patient.  More fit or should go after patients they feel is giving them false bad reviews.  

Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I usually never do this, but I actually gave the med. facility wher I was treated recently a bad review. I wouldn't have done this except they kept bugging me in my email to do a survey , so I finally did. My problem was my inability to hear, and almost every person from the desk person to the nurses and the doc himself, had to be asked repeatedly to speak up. It is an ENT clinic, and I wanted to say Dude what don't you understand about I can't hear ?  It is so important to understand instructions at a Dr. appt., so I was frustrated.  The evaluation wasn't all bad though, the NA.who was so concerned about my BP, and made sure I followed up got a great evaluation. I never had to ask her to speak up. The lady you speak of made a big deal over nothing, and that's a shame.

@QVCkitty1  Be very careful who you give a bad review to.  I just heard recently on the radio a patient gave a doctor a bad review and said she misdiagnosed her, plus she accused the doctor of ordering unneeded medical tests.  

‘’The doctor got very upset over this false information, and sued the patient for tons of money.  The doctor won her case and the patient was ordered to pay a huge amount of money to the doctor.  The doctor stated it’s not the money she was awarded it was the fact that her practice was in jeopardy by false reviews.  I applaud the doctor for challenging this patient.  More fit or should go after patients they feel is giving them false bad reviews.  

@Blingqueen023, It's a tough call, some patients are unreasonable, some have valid concerns. I thought my issues were valid, so I gave my review.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Blingqueen023, It's a tough call, some patients are unreasonable, some have valid concerns. I thought my issues were valid, so I gave my review.

@QVCkitty1 I believe you totally.  That other patient probably believed her review also, but unfortunately, she was proven wrong.  I have to say,  I never heard of a doctor taking the time to challenge a patient and to even take it to court before.  I heard that report on a Washington, D.C. talk radio show just recently while ‘I was sitting in traffic.  I was shocked when I heard that.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the kindness you showed this poor lady. I'm sure she appreciated it, @cherry. I don't know why people think its ok to be so rude to others.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You know what I find funny? That due to HIPAA laws, you can't get info over the phone, they won't fax this or that to this or that place, you have to sign off on everything BUT....

They'll ask you loudly for your personal info, read it back to you, discuss WHY you need to be there  (the personal things I've heard) ALL in front of strangers. I don't like the double standard.

Cherry, I get what you're saying. Agree the patient was unreasonable because you NEED the name of the person to make the appointment.I'm talking about all the OTHER truly personal stuff they ask you that SHOULD be kept private but isn't.

EDITED: because my auto-correct on my phone is a PITA

Honored Contributor

I didn't do anything that any decent person would have done. If you could have seen her poor face ,after this person ,decides to lodge a complaint, you would have felt terrible for her

To be over worked, and  so kind, and still have someone get nasty, about nothing at all really upset her.  She( the nasty lady) was certainly old enough to know better ,I suspect she was around my age. 

Honored Contributor

I notice quite often that customers are very rude to the personnel in the pharmacy and not just at one store.

Respected Contributor

Having worked in hospitals, clinics and homecare, the patient, while inexcusably rude, had a point. According to Hipaa, no one should be able to hear a patient's personal information. I know that it is done all the time but it is illegal. If an inspector from the Joint Commission or the Dept. of Health was there, the office would have received a large fine. The rules are not followed because medical offices were not built for patient privacy at the reception desk and it is too expensive to remodel. Sometimes you just can't win.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

This is because of the hippa law. A Drs office isn't supposed to mention or call you by your full name. It's for privacy, my opinion is these offices should have little cubicles like at thdd hospitals.
Valued Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I was at the Dr to get my monthly shot, yesterday. When I went to the area to pay, and make appointments a couple of ladies were ahead of me

The woman just prior to me ,got bent out of shape ,because the office assistant making her an appointment for an xray ,used her name  to register her her. She said I don't want everyone here to know my name...believe me no one cared, or paid the slightest attention to it

The lady proceeded to scold her and complain. I don't know how she figured the poor woman was going to book her appointment without using her name. The lady had a quiet voice and was very nice and polite to the irate lady

The woman then proceeded to tell me about her leg injury, in front of everyone, so she couldn't have felt  it was too personal ,to reveal to a stranger,nor did she worry about the people waiting their turn at the desk hearing her.

She even asked to speak to the office manager to complain to her

I have checked out at a lot of Drs offices recently, and they all do not have cubicles for each transaction/medical patient. In this case, the poor office assistant was  shy a work mate ,and doing it all herself

It made me feel bad for the poor person, that got a tongue lashing, for nothing at all

I felt so sorry for her. I told her she did a wonderful job under very trying circumstances. I tried to say something kind ,that would make her feel better. How can some people be so mean ,to a person that was only trying to offer her help?Feeling sorry for  a nice lady who had her day ruined, from the get go

@cherry wrote:

I was at the Dr to get my monthly shot, yesterday. When I went to the area to pay, and make appointments a couple of ladies were ahead of me

The woman just prior to me ,got bent out of shape ,because the office assistant making her an appointment for an xray ,used her name  to register her her. She said I don't want everyone here to know my name...believe me no one cared, or paid the slightest attention to it

The lady proceeded to scold her and complain. I don't know how she figured the poor woman was going to book her appointment without using her name. The lady had a quiet voice and was very nice and polite to the irate lady

The woman then proceeded to tell me about her leg injury, in front of everyone, so she couldn't have felt  it was too personal ,to reveal to a stranger,nor did she worry about the people waiting their turn at the desk hearing her.

She even asked to speak to the office manager to complain to her

I have checked out at a lot of Drs offices recently, and they all do not have cubicles for each transaction/medical patient. In this case, the poor office assistant was  shy a work mate ,and doing it all herself

It made me feel bad for the poor person, that got a tongue lashing, for nothing at all

I felt so sorry for her. I told her she did a wonderful job under very trying circumstances. I tried to say something kind ,that would make her feel better. How can some people be so mean ,to a person that was only trying to offer her help?Feeling sorry for  a nice lady who had her day ruined, from the get go

@cherry A similar experience happened to me recently.  I found out the name of the office manager's boss, and wrote a letter telling him (the boss) how much I admired the OM(office manager) because of the way she handled the situation - with kindness, patience and consideration. I told him that she is an asset to the company, and that's why I keep coming back. A phone call would help, also, but it helps to get something in writing. Instead of being a negative situation, you can turn it into something positive for the OM.