Honored Contributor

feeling sorry for a nice lady behind the desk at my Drs office

I was at the Dr to get my monthly shot, yesterday. When I went to the area to pay, and make appointments a couple of ladies were ahead of me

The woman just prior to me ,got bent out of shape ,because the office assistant making her an appointment for an xray ,used her name  to register her her. She said I don't want everyone here to know my name...believe me no one cared, or paid the slightest attention to it

The lady proceeded to scold her and complain. I don't know how she figured the poor woman was going to book her appointment without using her name. The lady had a quiet voice and was very nice and polite to the irate lady

The woman then proceeded to tell me about her leg injury, in front of everyone, so she couldn't have felt  it was too personal ,to reveal to a stranger,nor did she worry about the people waiting their turn at the desk hearing her.

She even asked to speak to the office manager to complain to her

I have checked out at a lot of Drs offices recently, and they all do not have cubicles for each transaction/medical patient. In this case, the poor office assistant was  shy a work mate ,and doing it all herself

It made me feel bad for the poor person, that got a tongue lashing, for nothing at all

I felt so sorry for her. I told her she did a wonderful job under very trying circumstances. I tried to say something kind ,that would make her feel better. How can some people be so mean ,to a person that was only trying to offer her help?Feeling sorry for  a nice lady who had her day ruined, from the get go

Esteemed Contributor

Re: feeling sorry for a nice lady behind the desk at my Drs office

hope that patient is familiar with karma.........

Honored Contributor

Some people are just miserable with themselves and their lives. I guess being hurtful to others makes them feel better. It was very nice of you to be kind and reassuring to the receptionist who was just doing her job. 

Honored Contributor

Those kind of people (in my book) want to have the attention drawn to them.  If she'd have started in on her leg to me after that tirade I would have said something to her.  That's stupid behavior and uncalled for. 

Valued Contributor

Several years ago I would’ve thought a recently released book entitled NICE IS THE NEW CLASSY a yawn. Today, I consider it a MUST READ for more than just a few! Sad, but true. 😞

Honored Contributor

I usually never do this, but I actually gave the med. facility wher I was treated recently a bad review. I wouldn't have done this except they kept bugging me in my email to do a survey , so I finally did. My problem was my inability to hear, and almost every person from the desk person to the nurses and the doc himself, had to be asked repeatedly to speak up. It is an ENT clinic, and I wanted to say Dude what don't you understand about I can't hear ?  It is so important to understand instructions at a Dr. appt., so I was frustrated.  The evaluation wasn't all bad though, the NA.who was so concerned about my BP, and made sure I followed up got a great evaluation. I never had to ask her to speak up. The lady you speak of made a big deal over nothing, and that's a shame.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Having worked as a receptionist in a doctors office what you witnessed this morning was just a bump in the road.  You would be

astonished at what they have to put up with, have heard and have had said to them.

Bless the poor receptionist but if she has been doing that job for very long she has heard it all.  She will get so used to it, it will not bother her one bit.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I am asked every single time for my date of birth before I am asked for my name at the pharmacy or at the doctor’s office.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry

I know exactly what you mean, and I agree that the poor lady behind the desk was berated unnecessarily.  I have a personal

opinion on this subject:

Reaity television shows are filled with irrate, angry people telling someone off.  I have watched a few of the shows at least once,

and that was my take-away.  I believe it is part of the draw for people--make it as negatively dramatic as possible. This is a poor example for people out in the world interacting with others on a daily basis.

I think so much more can be accomplished with a smile and a

pleasant manner rather than a "tell-'em off" method.  I always

think of Jackie Kennedy.  She would always smile and get everything across with grace.

Valued Contributor

Our daughter was a manager for nine years with ENTERPRISE in Los Angeles. What she and her employees had to endure was not only rudeness on a whole different level, but very scary, as well. (It’s incredible the lengths a person will go to rent a car with no credit card or bad credit card, no photo ID or drivers license!! I’m not even kidding!) That may have been the time one “class act” just screamed at her in front of tons of customers that she should worry more about the fact that she’s fat!!! Again, not kidding. As a mom 💔😡💔😡💔😡!!! And all she could do was be polite and say as soon as he had all needed information she would reconsider his request. (Bc the customer is always right!🤔)  Side note: today our daughter is a size 6. I wonder how that “gentleman” is doing?? 🤭