Respected Contributor

Re: facebook birthday fundraisers

I've seen them and don't have a problem with them, as long as you are not directly asking a specific person. The ones I see are general announcements. They don't ask me to personally donate. I would donate if it were for a cause that meant a lot to me.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

Many of the people I am friends with on FB are not people I would buy a birthday gift for so no, I do not donate and I have never asked for donations for my own b-day either.   

Respected Contributor

Before giving, I look at the base salary of the CEO over the non-profit corporporation.  Also look at how much goes toward "administration."  Some receive a modest salary, some are seven figures.  Some are zero but a low percentage actual goes to 'the cause' as below.   It's a tough call, but your money.

The Military Order of Purple Hearts National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary.
The Vietnam Veterans Association National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary.
The Wounded Warriors National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary.

Respected Contributor

@Justholdingon wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

If this has already been a topic here...sorry.  I didn't see it.

So what do you think of these? 

I'm having a birthday soon and fb gave me the option to have a fundraiser where my "friends" donate money to a charity I choose.  I ignored it.  The majority of these "friends" wouldn't even know it was my birthday if fb didn't tell them.  Why would I expect them to donate money to something that is important to me?

On the other side, I got such a request re: a "friend's" birthday fundraiser.  I won't be donating to that one.

Have you done one?  Have you been asked to donate to one?  Details, please.

i’ve been asked to donate via facebook for a fundraiser to a specific person’s birthday party before because that person wanted a huge party and couldn’t afford it. I thought that was some nerve. i’ve also been asked to donate to their daughter’s summer class trip via facebook fundraiser, but they couldn’t afford that either. both I ignored. both they got angry at me. oh well..I feel if you can’t afford it, don’t do it. 

I've never donated to any of those Facebook things.  For me, I mainly donate to things for animals.  As far as donating to someone's party or trip,  I find that to be really cheeky.   If you can't afford it, then you don't need it, or get a job or find some other way to earn the money.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Many of the people I am friends with on FB are not people I would buy a birthday gift for so no, I do not donate and I have never asked for donations for my own b-day either.   

I guess I look at the whole idea differently, and maybe that’s why it doesn’t bother me—I don’t see my donation as a “gift” for someone; rather, I just view it as a donation to a group that I would like to support. So it doesn’t much matter to me whether or not I would actually buy a gift for the person involved. If the cause is of interest to me, I might donate.

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I guess I look at the whole idea differently, and maybe that’s why it doesn’t bother me—I don’t see my donation as a “gift” for someone; rather, I just view it as a donation to a group that I would like to support. So it doesn’t much matter to me whether or not I would actually buy a gift for the person involved. If the cause is of interest to me, I might donate.

@jonbon, since people do it for their b-day, to me it's a donation made in lieu of a gift.  I donate to causes that I want to donate to on a regular basis, outside it being someone's b-day.  

If they or anyone else want to donate to whatever charity they've designated, that's fine.  I don't see anything wrong with someone doing that, it's just not something I'd ever make a donation to nor something I'd ever do for myself.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@jonbon, since people do it for their b-day, to me it's a donation made in lieu of a gift.  I donate to causes that I want to donate to on a regular basis, outside it being someone's b-day.  

If they or anyone else want to donate to whatever charity they've designated, that's fine.  I don't see anything wrong with someone doing that, it's just not something I'd ever make a donation to nor something I'd ever do for myself.

Just different ways of looking at it!

Respected Contributor

It puts people on the spot, and you are asking friends to spend money. That makes me uncomfortable. Since I don't exchange gifts with the vast majority in the first place, I'm not doing a birthday fundraiser on Facebook.

Respected Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

My niece did this, I kind of felt pressured to donate, I didn't want my sister, her mother, to think poorly of me.

That's my problem w/these fund raisers........talk about using the guilt trip.  I don't give to any of them.  I give to the charities I want to, which are several.

@Jordan2- kinda reminds me of the days when the schools sent all those fundraisers home with the kids.  No one ever needed the stuff they were selling and the schools got only a tiny fraction of the sales.