Esteemed Contributor

facebook birthday fundraisers

[ Edited ]

If this has already been a topic here...sorry.  I didn't see it.

So what do you think of these? 

I'm having a birthday soon and fb gave me the option to have a fundraiser where my "friends" donate money to a charity I choose.  I ignored it.  The majority of these "friends" wouldn't even know it was my birthday if fb didn't tell them.  Why would I expect them to donate money to something that is important to me?

On the other side, I got such a request re: a "friend's" birthday fundraiser.  I won't be donating to that one.

Have you done one?  Have you been asked to donate to one?  Details, please.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Re: facebook birthday fundraisers

I’ve seen them from friends and ignore them. And I won’t start one either. I won’t ask people for money at all, let alone to a cause of my choosing. It’s like asking for a gift. I won’t do that. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

This year was my 65 birthday. I am a 2x BC survivor and I set up a FB fundraiser for thel Breast Cancer Research Foundation which has a very good rating on Charity Navigator. Even though I know and have a relationship with most of my FB friends, I was astounded and touched by their generosity that blew right past my goal. I also contribute to friend's fundraisers and give $5-10. I guess it all depends on your philosophy of life.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I've donated to other birthday fundraisers and will continue to do so if they are for non-profits I would contribute to anyway.

Following mom's death, I chose to have a Birthday Fundraiser for Alzheimers Research (in her memory) on my birthday. I set a goal of $250; it raised over $1,800. I was stunned and thrilled!

Since so many family and friends had already made donations to mom's memorials (Humane Society, Lincoln City Libraries, Alzheimers Assoc., or Church Music Dept.), most contributions were from Facebook Friends or people from out-of-town who didn't attend mom's service. I am grateful to FB for the opportunity to support other families memorials following the death of a loved one.

I do not, however, give to memorials "In care of the family." I'm not about to pay for part of the funeral or a headstone! It must be non-profits or a reputable Charity that I believe is beneficial to others. 

ETA: Once a year our community has a "Give to Lincoln Day". Facebook now makes the donations very easy by using on-line donations to hundreds of non-profits within Lincoln and the surrounding area.

I now always provide my favorite charities with their annual donations on that day in May. This in in conjunction with a large Foundation in Lincoln, which oversees the project on Facebook. It keeps my gifts on track and I receive emails immediately for my records and taxes. For me (and most of my family and friends), it's a win-win! No checks to write, no stamps to buy, no envelopes to address = easy, quick, efficient. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I haven’t seen these, but I don’t pay any attention to most of the stuff on FB except for the posts by my friends.

My local animal shelter is on my feed and they have what you are talking about. The money goes to the shelter as that is the only thing that keeps them going.

Honored Contributor

its a good idea and an easy way to "give back." i dont donate to all of them, but yes, i have donated to some. i do not mind these at all and it is my choice to donate if i choose. nice to see the different charities that friends are passionate about.

its a win win situation.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

If this has already been a topic here...sorry.  I didn't see it.

So what do you think of these? 

I'm having a birthday soon and fb gave me the option to have a fundraiser where my "friends" donate money to a charity I choose.  I ignored it.  The majority of these "friends" wouldn't even know it was my birthday if fb didn't tell them.  Why would I expect them to donate money to something that is important to me?

On the other side, I got such a request re: a "friend's" birthday fundraiser.  I won't be donating to that one.

Have you done one?  Have you been asked to donate to one?  Details, please.

i’ve been asked to donate via facebook for a fundraiser to a specific person’s birthday party before because that person wanted a huge party and couldn’t afford it. I thought that was some nerve. i’ve also been asked to donate to their daughter’s summer class trip via facebook fundraiser, but they couldn’t afford that either. both I ignored. both they got angry at me. oh well..I feel if you can’t afford it, don’t do it. 

Honored Contributor

I  have never done one, but I have contributed to some that have.  Depends on the charity and their reason(s) for doing so. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've gotten a few requests but ignore them.  First one I ever saw was from my sister-in-law a year ago.  Cancer has hit both her and my family really hard but unfortunately there are a lot of cancer orgs these days and she selected one that had a larger than accepted administrative costs.  When I told her that, she wasn't aware you can easily check that info online.  

Honored Contributor

My niece did this, I kind of felt pressured to donate, I didn't want my sister, her mother, to think poorly of me.