Honored Contributor

When my dad died I had an estate sale of all was left that I didn't need/want. We got rid of EVERYTHING!! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

LOL! I loved the last part about what DH said, he obviously learned a lot from you!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor
@ LuLuBelle 2

Enjoyed your walk down memory lane and knowledge. What fun!
Respected Contributor
@ ID 2
Was estate company paid on proceeds or did they have a minimum?
Honored Contributor

When I lived in San Antonio, my friend and I used to go to estate sales.  Being a large city, San Antonio always had a lot of them.  She and I would go looking for things to buy that we could sell on Ebay.  It was a fun hobby......and I miss SA!

Esteemed Contributor

When my husband was living we would go to estate sales for something to do. I can't think of anything really great I got. My son likes Offer Up.

Honored Contributor

I went to one with a friend I was visiting out of town.  I bought a 5-quart Le Creuset dutch oven for $15.  I had wanted this pot for years, but didn't want to pay what it costs new.  That was 20 years ago and this pot is still one of the workhorses in my kitchen.

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

I have been to them and bought a couple of pieces of depression glass and an ancient cookbook.  I also recently have perused sales advertising on FB in upscale parts of the area.  Nothing has tempted me to battle traffic and lines to go to any of them.  I frankly find them pretty sad.  A person’s life reduced to a tag sale.

I agree.    People are elbow to elbow, picking over stuff that's actually pretty useless.  I only go to one if it's close to my home, sometimes just for curiosity & to run into neighbors!    (I live in the south, everything is a social event)

I love mid-century modern, I've purchased a few things in that style.   One is a hanging lamp.   This is not the one I purchased but it's this style.  Mine is a different color.   I would say at least half the people at estate sales have a shop or store, buying for resale.  Those people can usually negotiate a better deal for the volume they purchase.   

@shortbreadlover

image.png

Honored Contributor
To a few... it I have enough "stuff". Don't want to bring home anyone else's......
Valued Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:
 I frankly find them pretty sad.  A person’s life reduced to a tag sale.

I find them sad too. I went to a couple of them years ago when I got my first apartment and needed stuff, but found them heart-breaking. All the deceased person's belongings spread out on a table, from their hair brushes to their photo albums with strangers clamoring all around, dickering over prices. I couldn't bear it and never went to anymore.