Esteemed Contributor

I don’t think the estrangement is a new phenomenon. Meghan is a grown woman who can choose those in her family to whom she wants to be close. Her father threw out a lame excuse for his absence at her wedding, probably because he felt awkward. So be it. One thing the royals are is polite. If he had shown up, they would have treated him decently. Maybe Meghan is happier with the relationship as it is today. She is being scrutinized to the nth degree and is learning all the crazy rules and regulations governing royal life in the UK. She has enough on her plate. 

Honored Contributor

I was in hopes her dad would get his act together after his photo fiasco before Meghan’s wedding. Apparently not to be. 

I often wonder when when something happens to him, will she be there? 

Yes Doria is a sweetheart for a mom. Are her plans to move to London?

Do the other kids see their dad?

A sad situation but obviously the family was very dysfunctional before Prince Harry came into the picture.

Honored Contributor

I feel sorry for Meghan, regarding her father's behavior and comments.

NONE of us know what goes on between them or has in the past.

He shot off his big mouth and acted like a fool once too often, now he's paying the price. Tough noogies, dad.

I wouldn't believe a word out of his big mouth.

Trusted Contributor

Maybe she is being worked too hard and is tired and Mr Markle is worried she is being taken advantage of.  Is she allowed to turn down an assigned job?  Maybe she doesn't feel like making small talk with strangers lined up on the street who want to paw at her.  She would never allow that when she was an actress. 

Walking for hours in stilettos has to take its toll, the body gets weary and it shows in her posture.  On an unrelated note did you see that dress that was so tight in the bodice you could see the outline of her strapless bra?  That had to be embarrassing. I guess she hasn't got an assistant to tell her these things?   

Respected Contributor

Meghan Markle's smile is hiding fear, stress and the pressure of adjusting to her new royal duties, her father Thomas Markle said in an interview published Sunday.

“I think she is terrified, I see it in her eyes, I see it in her face and I see it in her smile. I’ve seen her smile for years. I know her smile. I don’t like the one I’m seeing now. This is a pained smile.”

The newly-minted Duchess of Sussex,  is struggling to cope with the transition from TV actress to a member of the royal family with public responsibilities, according to her father.

“It really worries me. I think she’s under too much pressure,” said Thomas Markle, "There’s a high price to pay to be married to that family.”

Honored Contributor

"Dad, I love you, but will you please shut the hades up!"  "The stress you see on me is your doing, not theirs." 

We don't know what is truly going on, but him playing with the press is wrong on so many levels.  It's her life and he should show some respect and shut up.  If he truly wants to be in her life then he would respect her.  He is not doing that in my mind. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

MR. M is making hay while the sun shines at the expense of his daughter.  

That tells you all you need to know about him doesn't it?  Telling his tales to the press. . . etc.

Trusted Contributor

Re: duchess megan dad.

[ Edited ]

Bottom line for me is that he has taken money from the British press more than once to run his mouth and say and do things that surely embarrassed his daughter, her husband and her husband's family. The things he has said and done has not made Meghan's adjustment to her new life any easier. If he truly cared for her, he would stop blabbing to the press and show some decorum. As far as I'm concerned, he's made his bed and now he needs to lay in it...quietly. 

Valued Contributor

Labluver, you took the words right out of my mouth.  It is such an embarassment, and really kind of sad.....

Respected Contributor

no one knows the true story here except Meghan and her father.

i do think we can all agree that how it has been handled has not been successful so maybe a different tack might be in order?

and i do think that we have to sometimes put aside petty feelings when our parents are up in years and in ill health.