Esteemed Contributor

Re: does anyone else not want to put up a christmas tree

Do what you want and do not listen to what others say. There are so many pretty X-Mas tress that come already decorated and look nice on a table or the larger ones on the floor.

Respected Contributor

One year my grandmother (who has since passed away in 2006 and the love of my life..I had parents but nothing was better then my Nanny..she was my end all..) she one year said she didn't want to put up a tree..and I was like shocked..OMG who doesn't want to do that..I have kids etc..and she said "I have been doing it over 50 years and am tired of it..I did my share of trees.." and said you are absolutely right..if that is the way you feel go for it..she would come to our house on Christmas Eve and spend the night..and enjoy the holiday with us..and loved it with my kids as we went wayyyyy over board and she was just like a little kid.."what is it..let me see..what is it.." LOL..my daughter would take her stocking out to the living room where she slept on the couch and she would open it..and hubby and I could hear them from our bedroom.." what is it..what did you get..Oh my...let me see" LOL

She passed away in her 90's and struggles all their lives financially until my g'father retired..and then worked part time..this was back in the early 70's..they didn't have pensions then..or thought much of them..he worked farms for years..living in farm housing which when I saw old pics looked pretty decent as the housing came with the salary..but back then you lived on a farm...pretty much raised your entire grocery list..from meat, to butter, dairy etc..

I tried to make life easier for her and would buy this and that for her..as she hated the thought of charity or giving her money..so I would pick stuff up for her and charge her a fraction of the price...got a good sale LOL..

I wanted her to have the expensive cookware, and appliances...she loved cooking etc..I liked treating her.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe it's all just 'attitude'. I want to put up a tree but I have two cats and that would be a disaster. My husband dreads the whole idea due to the fact that he has to get the tree out, assemble it, put up lights, adjust it, help me decorate it, and then when all is over and done with, take it down and put it away after the holiday. I can understand the 'attitude'. I watch myself carefully not to get the attitude and to let it affect my season.

Maybe there's a Fathead Tree and you could put up one of those.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Coupon Queen you sure are a kind hearted person. God love you for making her life so much happier. What wonderful memories you have stored in you memory box. Love these kind of family or friends stories. I am the one in the family were everyone comes for the holidays and every thing standing still has to be enhanced. I did in side and out side by my self for 50 years and now my legs are giving me problems so when I say I am going to cut back on the decorating everyone comes and goes down in my basement and drags every thing up here and helps put things out. It then becomes a decorating get together for us. A blessed holiday to you and your family Coupon Queen.

Super Contributor

Get a smaller, easier-to-manage tree!

I nearly gave away my HUGE, gloriously beautiful one from QVC....cost $300, but must have weighed 1000 lb and had to be stored in the basement.

I can now do my 7.5' pre-lit smaller, lighter weight one in one evening!

And no hernia!

Respected Contributor

Hi JJ were have you been? Hope things are getting better for you. Missed seeing you on here.

Trusted Contributor

I am never in the mood to put up a Christmas tree or any holiday decorations, whether it be Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Easter, or whatever! I am just happy with a clean house. However, I still put up a tree and some snow globes and nutcrackers... As long as my kids are still living at home, I will do it for them as they enjoy it so much. But one of these days, I'm giving it all up {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

p.s. GoodStuff, I love your table top tree! Very cute--and manageable!

Honored Contributor

I must tell you my story of our tree.

When my 44 yr old son was about 8 he had a friends mother make me one of those trees that you put a light in and add plastic ornaments. I love that tree and some yrs it was the only tree we could afford. I put it out every year. About 2 yrs ago while DH and I were getting out decorations I dropped the tree. It broke in a few pieces and I was truly heart broken. I asked DH to put get rid of it so I didn't have to look at. A few weeks later there it was sitting on a table in the family room repaired and I thought looking perfect. DH had put it back together. When I look at that tree I think of the two men in my life who showed me their love.

When Mom was with us and living in the retirement community we always made sure she had a tree. It might have been small but she loved it.

But if you don't want a tree you shouldn't have to bother w/ one.

Respected Contributor

What I have done the last couple of years is not put up the 'original' looking Christmas tree but instead, I decorate my bookshelves and tables throughout the house with smaller trees , anywhere from 1 to 3 feet tall. It adds a lot of '''interest''' being that they are all different looking trees. My favorite tree is about 2 feet tall and has different colored balls on it, an inch + in diameter. I purchased it at a local library yard sale for $3.00.

Trusted Contributor

A few years ago I came to the realization that I no longer belong on a ladder, for any reason. That caused me to reevaluate many things, including holiday decorating. Since most of my décor was stored in boxed up on shelves and that meant climbing up and then balancing the box as I climbed down, I decided that it would be safer and easier if I just found a new home for the things I once enjoyed so much. My seasonal decorating days are now just wonderful memories, and much to my surprise, I don’t miss it one bit. I put nothing out, no tree, no tabletop items, no outdoor items or lights, not even a wreath. Now, I actually enjoy the beauty and detail of all the decorations put up by others so much more than I ever did in the past. I enjoy the holidays just as much but without the work (once it is no longer fun, it is work). Throughout our lives our bodies change, our abilities change, and our interests change. With change, you often give up something and you gain something. Go with your instinct for change, you’ll be glad you did. The season is just as enjoyable without all of the work. Enjoy!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.