Honored Contributor

do you know someone who stutters?

Annie Glenn, the wife of John had a terrible stutter.She was practically disabled because of it. She found a treatment for it when she was in her 50's. SHe speaks as clear as a bell since the treatment

She had to give cab drivers a written address because she couldn't get the words out. She almost hemorrhaged once, from a cut, because she couldn't say what was wrong on the phone

I never realized how much a stutter could impact a persons life

She is as special as John was

Honored Contributor

Re: do you know someone who stutters?

My first cousin did.  He got help and ended up graduating from the Citatel and being an Air Force Major.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I retired from a well known private college who has a very good speech and audiology department.  In the 80s they had an adult stuttering camp.  Many high executives attended.  Watching their progress during the course was amazing.  Part of the program was to walk around campus and start conversations with summer students and employees when they were not in class.  By the time they left there was no evidence of their previous stuttering problem.   Listening to them talk was very inspiring.  They had accomplished so much in the business world before camp.  I wonder how it changed their professional life after.  They no long have that camp.

Respected Contributor

Hi, cherry, I was looking at a picture of John Glenn and his wife at the time of his mission, both at a homecoming parade in Cocoa Beach with Lyndon Johnson in the car, too.

She was so beaiutiful and I was surprised to read that she was a stutterer.  But she never gave up.  She has outlived her husband of c. 70 years (amazing) and must be having such a difficult time now. 

The article I read said she was in the "Stutterers Hall of Fame" because of her courage in facing those difficulties and living with and eventually overcoming them.  What a wonderful couple.

Honored Contributor

I wish I could bring the link to the artice over, from the daily mail, but my computer won't cooperate to C &P for some reason

She had a three week course at a university and @Gram W it was a lot like you are describing

Listening to her speak, no one would believe she over came such a handicap

Honored Contributor

@BurnsiteShe is 2 years older than John

Trusted Contributor

I Googled famous people who stutter.  There is a long list of past and present names of many famous in music, films, sports, etc.  The list goes back many years.  Very interesting.   Many I have seen on TV in personal appearances and never guessed or heard them speak of it.

Honored Contributor

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4018510/How-John-Glenn-s-widow-Annie-advocate-handicapped-fu...

Finally, this has a good interview with Annie and lots of pictures and information

Esteemed Contributor

My Dad would tell how of how he stuttered as a child.  So he went to Broadcast school.

He went on to have two shows on a local radio station, a show on local cable, a reader at church, (including being Pontius Pilot during lent),  a union rep and an extra in movies.  My Dad was the king of, nothing's gonna hold me down!

He was my first hero. RIP 12/28/15

Trusted Contributor

@cherry.  I wonder where she went.  Could she have been one of the ladies that stoped to talk to me.  I wonder if I saw Mr and Mrs Glenn at the beginning or end of the program.  Because of the college I have seen many celebrities when they came to see the school and during the years their young person were attending.  It was policy that employees treat them like we did all visitors.   That was easy to do because the whole family was so friendly and down to earth at all times.