Honored Contributor

Re: do you come here for instruction on how to live your life?

I appreciate hearing other opinions....though they may not match my opinion.  That's OK.

Honored Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

Speaking of "nun mysteries", do you remember the tv show, "Father Dowling Mysteries"? Good show.

@Daisy Sunflower

Did people go to Father Dowling for advice on how to live their lives?

Or did they go to the nuns for that?

Honored Contributor

@excpa wrote:

Just wondering, because some people seem to think they are instructors.

I had a friend who said he got a "C" in a course called "Personal Development".  I fell out laughing and he finally saw the joke.

There is a writer of mediocre mystery stories staring a nun.  The author actually includes a list (fairly long) of "discussion questions" at the end of the story.

Who appoints these people to these instructional roles?  What do you suppose their credentials are?  Are they certified by someone (something) that makes them think they are qualified to preach to others?

I think it is mega-creepy.

@excpa

Generally, no.  I'm a grown up and know how to problem solve.   I did not go from my parents' home straight to a marital home with no adult life experience in between. 

I have, however, asked for advice on how to deal with cat or dog issues from those in Pet Lovers that are much more experienced with animals and have gotten some great feedback.

As for the question about who certifies others to take instructional roles ..... what I want to know is who certifies the certifiers?  lol

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I don't.  But I saw a thread recently where the OP didn't ask for any advice at all.  It was just a nice thread of appreciation.  But someone felt it necessary to instruct her anyway.  So I guess it's going to happen regardless of whether you come here looking for it or not.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

My favorites are the people who rush to Google and then copy the answer like it's their own...lol  But I can't say anything here really bothers me, if a thread doesn't interest me, I just move on to something that does.  But sometimes there is good information on this board, I do get some good information and I do learn things.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

My favorites are the people who rush to Google and then copy the answer like it's their own...lol  But I can't say anything here really bothers me, if a thread doesn't interest me, I just move on to something that does.  But sometimes there is good information on this board, I do get some good information and I do learn things.  

I too learn things and get information.

Respected Contributor

I figure we all have had different experiences in life.  I like to hear what other posters think.  I have learned a lot.

Honored Contributor

That would be a no......

Valued Contributor

Woosh, ha ha ha. No I don't @excpa, and you didn't either.  Heart

Trusted Contributor

I think they went to Father Dowling to confess after they made a mess and to Sally Fields for singing lessons. Or was that Sister Act? I always confuse the flying with the singing.

Personally, I learned my life lessons from Jessica Fletcher and Sherlock Holmes.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.