Respected Contributor

Re: did anyone watch "Hamilton" the other night?

@mamaslittlepotato wrote:
On the other hand, so many people love The Phantom of the Opera but I hated it! I literally fell asleep, which was more exciting than the show. To each their own.

I know! I had a big problem with the fact that they were romanticizing a guy who was a stalker. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love this period of history and loved this musical. Inventive, energetic, soaring, sad, and, as DH said when it was over, intense.

@sunshine45 

I picked up on all the references you listed...fantastic!

Honored Contributor

I did not get to see it but I feel seeing a movie of a musical is not the same as seeing it on stage in person.  That said when it becomes available on Netflix I will watch it. 

I was surprised by how many people did not like Phantom on this thread.  I was lucky to see it with the original cast and I loved it.  I still listen to the music.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@mamaslittlepotato wrote:
On the other hand, so many people love The Phantom of the Opera but I hated it! I literally fell asleep, which was more exciting than the show. To each their own.

I know! I had a big problem with the fact that they were romanticizing a guy who was a stalker. 

I know not the topic of the thread, but Andrew Lloyd Webber did a sequel (can't remember the name - maybe Love Never Dies?). Anyways, the music wasn't bad, even when compared to Phantom's iconic score.  But, horrible what they did to some of the characters from the original story.  And, from what I recall, the Phantom was more of a hero in it.  Not recommended for any fans of the original.  

Esteemed Contributor

I hope the OP doesn't mind that I have to gently kid her for her "predictable" comment - it is fairly well known that we won the war and that Burr killed Hamilton! 😊

But all joking aside, even though I really like Hamilton (Yorktown makes me cry every single time - we won we won we won we won!) there are several parts that, IMO, drag.  The show even actively comments on it - "can we get back to politics, please?" I kind of don't care about much of the home life, but I know it has to be included in a semi-biographical show.  And, because it's based on real life, I can concede that there's not many surprises.

I also don't really disagree with the poster that commented about not liking Lin Manuel Miranda.  I get her point - in Chicago, we had the same Hamilton throughout the course of the show.  He became really entrenched in the city and its charities.  When I compare him to Lin Manuel, our guy was just better IMO.  Recall too that it was Leslie Odom who won the Tony.

Regardless of the parts I don't like, there's so much more that I do.  I also got Disney+ just to watch this and will probably watch a couple of times.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure if this is still a valid offer but if anyone as Verizon unlimited, they were offering Disney+ for free for one year. That is how I have it.  I wouldn't have paid for it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

My nephew has a Verizon unlimited plan. This promotion went to all customers. 

I received Disney+ and Apple Music for 6 months with my new smartphone and unlimited plan.

I am a Marvel movie fan, and  will pay after next year. 

I did not sign up for my 6 months of Apple Music. I have other music streaming services. 

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I hope the OP doesn't mind that I have to gently kid her for her "predictable" comment - it is fairly well known that we won the war and that Burr killed Hamilton! 😊

I always enjoy a good joke! :-)