Esteemed Contributor

Re: did anyone watch "Hamilton" the other night?

I tried to watch it twice. First time I made it about 10 minutes the second time I put cc on and made it about 20 minutes. I found the lyrics were repeated over and over again. I don't know how many time I heard "I'm not going to give up my shot" or whatever it was. And that was only the third song. I guess I'm just not into musicals. I don't plan on trying to sit through it again. 

Contributor

I'm not a fan of rap and didn't think I would like Hamilton, but it was fantastic. I watched it with the closed captioning on and I understood everything that was sung. I want to watch it again without the closed captioning. 

Respected Contributor

I signed up for Disney Plus just to see "Hamilton".  I absolutely loved it!!! Will watch again.

Honored Contributor

I don't generally care for musicals and I'm not a fan of rap at all.  The musicals that I like pay tribute to musicians and their stories like Jersey Boys, Beautiful & Ain't Too Proud.  

DH surprised me with tickets to Wicked a few years ago and I almost fell asleep.  The actors were very talented but I wasn't crazy about the story.  I have a feeling that I would feel the same way about Hamilton.

Honored Contributor

@mamaslittlepotato wrote:
On the other hand, so many people love The Phantom of the Opera but I hated it! I literally fell asleep, which was more exciting than the show. To each their own.

@mamaslittlepotato  i am not a phantom of the opera fan either.

i absolutely LOVED HAMILTON on stage and would see it again on stage. have not had the chance to watch the small screen version yet, but i do have disney+.

for those who say you do not like rap music, the music in this musical is not all rap. yes, there is some rap, but it also features  R+B, soul, hip hop, pop/rock, plus more tradiional broadway showtune types of songs. it is a wonderful mix of genres.

did you all hear references to OTHER famous broadway shows? listen carefully..... some of them include "You've got to be carefully taught" from "South Pacific," "Sit down, John!" from "1776,"  George Washington's "I'm the model of a modern major general" is from "The Pirates of Penzance." 

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love stories about the Founders and so I live-streamed it for a small fee to Disney Plus.  The first half was a good show, but I was tired and stopped. . . and waited two days to finish.  Yesterday I saw the end.

Oh, my.  I cried and cried.  Yet I also was inspired by that show's scenes from the blackmailing to the first duel to the last.   The acting and staging was superlative (it almost always is on Broadway). But the book and the characters and the deep sense of the challenges the Founders faced?  It was a history lesson to correct some omissions of popular memory.  It was eye-opening as to what a Broadway show can do. "I'm not gonna give away. . .my shock"  comes back again in the historic things AH did.  Inspiring.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hamilton was amazing! 👏👏👏

The casting concept was brilliant, the music gave it a fresh, contemporary feel and I liked the insight into each character's development. My favorite was Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson. He was totally brilliant in this role.
I have to say though, that my heart belongs to King George, who stole the show.  He definitely got the best lines! 🥰👑🤩

Honored Contributor

If you want to know the story, you need to read the book.  If the music is your thing, that's the play.  The two are different things.

For many years now, most Broadway music is virtually the same with few real innovations, much like Japanese Noh theater.  One description of Noh includes: Having a strong emphasis on tradition rather than innovation, Noh is extremely codified and regulated.  

Sounds like today's Broadway to me.  Unfortunately. 

Honored Contributor

I love musicals, and I really liked Hamilton. Shakespeare is difficult to understand, but worth the time and effort , and though I'm a  senior I feel the same about Rap. Art evolves and I appreciate someone like Miranda trying something so different .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I haven't watched yet although I fully intend to.

I love going to the theatre.  However for some reason, Hamilton does not interest me in the least. While all my friends and family were going, I passed. Tickets were expensive and I just didn't think I'd like it.  Everyone I know that saw it said it was their favorite out of everything they've seen.