Honored Contributor

Re: diabetic drugs to soar in price

@sidsmom wrote:

Again, Type 2 Diabetes is your choice.

It CAN be cured.

Low Fat Whole Foods Plant Based Diet.

image.jpeg

Lipitor was prescribed for me even though my cholesterol is normal. It is used as a preventative medication in heart disease. Metformin is used to prolong life and in cancer patients has proved to prolong life. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11, I can't believe she is allowed to spew her rhetoric on these boards. She has no knowledge of medicine and I fear some poor soul may be scammed into believing the garbage she puts forth.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

The REAL elephant in the room is...

Type 2 diabetes is a modern day illness with a modern day cure.

All this moaning & groaning when the answer is

NOT to have Type 2 Diabetes in the first place.

Low Fat, Whole Foods, Plant Based diet.

People blame Pharma, Insurance, Doctors, Genetics...anyone

but themselves.  Something as simple, quick, easy, cheap & ethical?

Oh, yeah...that's right....'cuz changing your diet is too hard.

All the low carb stuff isn't working.

Double the price of Insulin for Type 2 Diabetics...then maybe 

the General Public will hear the message for dietary changes.

CORRECT dietary changes.   

Actually, "the low carb stuff" works really, really well. 

Anyone who uses any diabetic medication to control their T2 diabetes

is still sick.   If they are using strips or monitors, you're still sick.

Change your diet & T2 is a thing of the past. 

There is more than one kind of sick....

''I wonder how Dr. Mcdougal sleeps at night. He claims his goal for fasting blood sugars is 150 to 300. I wonder how many patients have unreported organ damage, amputations and hospitalization? He also claims tight diabetic control is unfounded and causes premature death based on flimsy, unproven studies. Pity the diabetic who listens to this snake oil medicine.

But QVC has no problems with it being posted repeatedly, ad nauseum. Wonder what their defense would be if someone got seriously ill from following this regimen at a poster's advice, and said so/sued them.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@Trinity11, I can't believe she is allowed to spew her rhetoric on these boards. She has no knowledge of medicine and I fear some poor soul may be scammed into believing the garbage she puts forth.

She is a devoted disciple of Dr. McD and Dr. Esselstyn's...a cult like devotion to a way of eating that clearly will not cure diabetes. A cure does not mean fasting blood sugars of 150-300. One banana in the morning of a diabetic with a 300 blood sugar will send them into a tailspin of higher and higher blood sugars throughout the day. I read literature from Dr. McD that a diabetic should not test their blood sugars on his diet. He just does not believe in good control let alone tight control. He cites unfounded studies and encourages diabetics not to worry about higher blood glucose levels.

Yes, I do fear that someone will misinterpret what a truly healthy plant based diet entails. It does not mean eating lots of simple carbohydrates, potatoes and corn. Rice although fine for many people without diabetes can send a Type 2 diabetic blood sugar soaring.

There is also the issue of a Type 2 diabetic with severe insulin resistance. Anyone who has a pancreas that is close to not producing insulin would possibly go into a diabetic coma from a diet high in carbohydrates without proper medications. In addition many Type 2 diabetics are misdiagnosed and actually have Type 1 1/2 where they are producing autoantibodies against their own insulin. No diet will cure them and many endocrinologists fail to perform the proper tests for diagnosis and people are misdiagnosed with Type 2. What about these patients if they were to go on a plant based, high carbohydrate diet and not take medication? The possiblity of death comes to mind....ending up in an ER with diabetic ketoacidosis.

Respected Contributor

This whole drug pricing scandal is getting ugly! I suspect it's political! Not trying to start an ugly fight, just mho! I think A. It's an easy way to to increase the bottom line...these are all meds that are life and death! B. It's to embarrass Obama's healthcare initiative! Ok, it's not perfect, but now my pre-existing condition won't prevent me from getting good healthcare coverage! Unfortunately, my mom wasn't so lucky!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Agree 100% @RetRN.  Honestly, IF someone here does try to follow her instructions, I hope to hades that they or more likely their surviving family members contact the Q to get her r/l info and sue the living daylights out of her!

Respected Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

This whole drug pricing scandal is getting ugly! I suspect it's political! Not trying to start an ugly fight, just mho! I think A. It's an easy way to to increase the bottom line...these are all meds that are life and death! B. It's to embarrass Obama's healthcare initiative! Ok, it's not perfect, but now my pre-existing condition won't prevent me from getting good healthcare coverage! Unfortunately, my mom wasn't so lucky!

It's political that the CEO of Mylan (Epi Pen) makes 19.8 MILLION dollars per year?  That's not political, that's unadulterated greed.

Honored Contributor

I love how everyone is so scared of a carrot & to be healthy!!

Change the diet & cure T2 Diabetes.

It's SOOOO obvious low carb people don't understand how diabetes works!!  I guess once they understand it & figure out what they've been doing all this time is wrong....the responsibility will be placed upon them.

Until then, blame everyone under the sun for an easily preventable 

condition that can be cured with a CORRECT diet.

Low Fat Whole Foods Plant Based for

Type 2 prevention & cure.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I love how everyone is so scared of a carrot & to be healthy!!

Change the diet & cure T2 Diabetes.

It's SOOOO obvious low carb people don't understand how diabetes works!!  I guess once they understand it & figure out what they've been doing all this time is wrong....the responsibility will be placed upon them.

Until then, blame everyone under the sun for an easily preventable 

condition that can be cured with a CORRECT diet.

Low Fat Whole Foods Plant Based for

Type 2 prevention & cure.

@sidsmom - WRONG, and we've been down this ugly path with you before.  I take no meds.  I completely control my Type II with my low carb, predominantly low starch, diet.  Despite my a1c and fasting blood sugar levels being within normal range now, they only stay that way because of my diet and exercise.  I am not CURED.  My sister is vegan.  Has been vegan for 20 years.  She's also type II.  She refuses to give up her whole grains and starchy veggies.  Her numbers are and will remain horrible.  She cannot control without meds.

Any quack who claims they've "cured" diabetes is a liar.  Unless of course he counts people who have died following his guidance as cured.

Trusted Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Hi @RetRN,

This really concerns me, as well.

There are people that come here to get information. They take what others say here, very seriously. 

They may not realize that someone posting here, doesn't have a legitimate license to practice any type of health care.

I would not want to see someone get hurt, due to the information that they decided to listen to. Smiley Sad