Respected Contributor

diabetic drugs to soar in price

It seems diabetic drugs are going up in price including .  Seems that pharmaceutical companies feel  that insurance should soak it up. 

Honored Contributor

Re: diabetic drugs to soar in price

Since losing weight my doctor has greatly-reduced my amount of daily insulin injections.  Hopefully my budget may be better able to handle these price increases.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political

Valued Contributor

I noticed that the cost of the two insulins I must use skyrocketed in price after a certain insurance regulation went into effect. The pharmacist warned me ahead of time that this would happen.

Rising costs result in certain actions: Insurance companies respond by doing a few different things. They increase copays, require more "precertification paperwork" so they may deny or make getting a drug covered a huge hassle for both patient and doctor. Insurance companies also decide certain medication will no longer be covered because "they aren't effective" or the cost outweighs any benefit.  At one point one particular huge insurance company decided not to cover medications unless they were considered to be maintenance drugs, then a few months later decided not to cover maintenance drugs. Crazy, but actually true. 

A few years ago I dealt with insurance coverage and precertification issues for a practice, and let me tell you, IT WAS NUTS, what we had to go through to get things covered for a patient.

I am self-pay for my insulins, as I do not have insurance. If I did have one of the plans available to me, my insulin would not be covered.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I would imagine the drugs used for type 2 diabetes will go up, it seems there are commercials on tv constantly.

Respected Contributor

It is difficult for people to afford some medications and some individuals can not afford the medicines and just do not take it. It seems as though when there is an increase in people needing medications the pharmaceutical companies increase the price. Doctors prescribe and when you tell them the insurance company will not pay for it, or even if the insurance company will pay for it and you still can not afford it, the doctor shrugs. There are some who will try to help by writing a letter for people. Pharmaceutical greed is happening more often.

Respected Contributor

@traveler ... It's terrible the way prices of drugs are going up. It isn't only the pharmaceutical companies that have to soak it up though. They just turn around and raise the co-pays of these drugs for the consumers.

I picked up a new medication yesterday and got stuck with a $100 co-pay. Actually, the doctor thought she was doing me a favor and gave me 33 days worth instead of just 30 days of pills. Well...the co-pay on 33 days was $200! I called the insurance company, and they said that anything over 30 days means an extra co-pay! I had her re-write the Rx for 30 days. Good grief! And, of course, you can't use coupons like Good Rx if you are on Medicare.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Can these Epi-pens and other diabetic supplies by procured from Canadian pharmacies?  I think I'd look into it if I was affected.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@traveler

Are there generics for these drugs?  

I guess one of the most important features of health insurance in 2016 is to have an excellent prescription drug plan!

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@traveler

Are there generics for these drugs?  

I guess one of the most important features of health insurance in 2016 is to have an excellent prescription drug plan!

I take Prandin, a disbetic drug.  It's always been rather expensive, so I was delighted when I heard that there was a generic.  Checked on it with my pharmacists, and found that the generic was exactly the same price as the original medication.  Big deal!!