Honored Contributor

Re: Exactly how drunk does one have to get in order to...

My husband, daughter and I used to go every year to a July 4th parade when she was little.

So many people started coming to it drunk (afternoon), they moved it to something like nine in the morning.  They still came drunk.  They ruined it for all the families with kids.

I really hate that.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I was wondering if he deliberately wanted to off himself.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

unbelievable Woman Sad

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

I just read an article reporting a 7 year old boy was wounded during a celebration of the 4th of July. 

Some idiot took part in the 'tradition' of shooting a gun in the air.  Apparently, he is unfamiliar with the law of gravity which tells us what goes up, must come down.

There was a 9 yr old girl hurt here for the same reason.  No clues as to where the bullet came from, but she had a pain in her shoulder and had to leave the downtown (Nashville) celebration (they had driven in from Mississipi) to go to the emergency room.  I hope the idiot that shot in the air enjoyed the celebration because this sweet child didn't!  (Angry face here)! 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

NoelSeven wrote:

My husband, daughter and I used to go every year to a July 4th parade when she was little.

So many people started coming to it drunk (afternoon), they moved it to something like nine in the morning.  They still came drunk.  They ruined it for all the families with kids.

I really hate that.

We'll try this again -  My internet connection was interrupted just as I hit enter. 

Seriously, I have to ask - What kind of MORON shoots a gun up in the air, and it's a tradition?   Maybe I just don't even want to know the rest.  *sigh*  No brain, no pain.

As for the guy in the OP - How tragic!  But I've seen drunk people do stuff just as stupid so I don't have any reason to believe that anything else was at play there.  Sad, but his number came up this time.  :'(

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:
I was wondering if anyone tried to stop him, Preds Smiley Sad

This is a link to an article about this I read yesterday.  It explains a bit more.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-man-shoots-off-firework-top-head-dies-32231780

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@tansy wrote:
I was wondering if anyone tried to stop him, Preds Smiley Sad

This is a link to an article about this I read yesterday.  It explains a bit more.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-man-shoots-off-firework-top-head-dies-32231780

*****************************************************************************************

OMGosh, what a disturbing quote from that article. 

Spoiler
"There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there," said 25-year-old Cody Staples, who called it an accident.
It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

There's a photo of the little boy on the Daily News with the wound, kind of in the middle, between his neck and his shoulder.  Luckily, it didn't penetrate, and his father saw the bullet on the ground.  I hope the police can get a fingerprint off of it.

CB, it's tradition for some groups and particularly in some areas.  They do it for New Year's Eve at midnight, also.  A few years ago, some older guy in the Bay Area did it at New Year's and killed his young grandson.  He was devastated.  Too bad he didn't go on the road to help teach others a lesson.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Wow, shooting guns in the air!  That has to be one of the things that makes us look like a bunch of idiots to people in other countries.   SMH big time.

Trusted Contributor

I think often people just don't think about what they are doing or, odd as it may seem, they are ignorant of what may happen.  I don't think a person has to be drung or impaired but just not informed.  Thats my nice way of saying they might be dumb as a box of rocks at times.

Case in point, Jon-Erik Hexum.  I had a big crush on him as a kid and I was so upset when he died.  His case, he wasn't drunk at all but just impatient and bored and he did something that later reports stated he was totally unaware of the danger of a blank load.