Honored Contributor

@yellowbird wrote:

I have a friend who makes glass beads. Because of requests, She offers the service of incorporating ashes in a bead and treats the cremanrs with great respect during the process. If it brings comfort to a loved one, I see nothing wrong with it. As far as separating somes ashes from the rest, even the Catholic church allows for this. I found this out when my husband died.

why would I want my loved one incorporated into a glass bead?  How is that comforting?  When someone is dies.... yes it is sad... and  I am sure there are plenty on mementos to Cherish and hold onto about them from things they owned etc.... but making  a bead out of  human remains  is just macabre .  Yes   such odd things  have been done down through the ages.... does not mean that it is a  proper thing to do..  many things were done through the ages that now are not something  that now do we do.   

Super Contributor

My husbands niece just recieved her jewerly piece.. She had her mothers ashes or part of her ashes made into a blue diamond and just this weekend took it to a jeweler and had it put into a ring with some diamonds to the side.. I have to say its beautiful .. she is a very smart person looked into it all and has documentation on it .. evidently it takes about nine months to somehow get it to go to carbon.. she was very emotional recieving it and I would be also ( her mom had blue eyes thats why she chose blue )

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

For me the choice  is about the deceased, not the grieving family.  What happens to the articles or ashes after the grieving family passes?

I find it disrespectful to find these human remains on e-bay at at public auctions.  If you have articles like this, you must insure that they are properly taken care of after your death. That is a huge responsibility.

I agree.  More responsibility than I want.  I guess one could say they want the pendant (or whatever) cremated or buried with them.  Still, not a choice for me.  When my mother died, I did have some of her ashes.  I returned them to another family member.  Again...the responsibility.  No thanks. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I don't know how to post this without it being removed as religious but in Oct. 2016 Pope Francis reiterated that while burial is the preferred method, cremation is allowed.

However, dividing ashes among loved ones, making jewelry, or keeping an urn at home is against doctrine.

The cremains are to be buried on sacred ground with the name of the person since the name represents the name G*d know this person from Baptism.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 I don't really know how to word my response without being removed. I guess I'll just say most everyone I know that has had a glass piece made isn't of the faith of the pope... so what he has said in doctrine doesn't really matter to them.. geesh hope that was ok to say.  I don't want to start another storm.. My immediate family won't even consider cremation...they are kinda dismayed at my decision to be...DW 

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I don't know how to post this without it being removed as religious but in Oct. 2016 Pope Francis reiterated that while burial is the preferred method, cremation is allowed.

However, dividing ashes among loved ones, making jewelry, or keeping an urn at home is against doctrine.

The cremains are to be buried on sacred ground with the name of the person since the name represents the name G*d know this person from Baptism.

Personal statements by the Pope do not raise to the level of infallable. He's said a lot of things that people have misconstrued as official church teaching. The very fact that the church separates relics of saints ( including bones) seems to contradict the idea that it's against church teaching to separate any of the remains. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Personal statements by the Pope do not raise to the level of infallable. He's said a lot of things that people have misconstrued as official church teaching. The very fact that the church separates relics of saints ( including bones) seems to contradict the idea that it's against church teaching to separate any of the remains. 

@jaxs mom  I don't believe he is infallable at all.  The issue of cremation was doctrined in 1963, I think.  Many of the human relics were taken in other eras.

The doctrine was about ashes; the bodies of saints are still in consecrated ground regardless of missing pieces of bone. 

I'm not arguing the point; but I believe that doctrine established by the Vatican is more apt to be misconstrued by local priest, bishops, etc. than it is to be miscontrued by the Pope.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Really?  He needs a tombstone to know...what?  He's not interested in the body anyway, right?

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

I once saw a documentary where the wife of the deceased wore her husbands dried up foot around her neck!!!!  It was a tribe somewhere, I don't remember. UGH!

Honored Contributor

@Frau K wrote:

I once saw a documentary where the wife of the deceased wore her husbands dried up foot around her neck!!!!  It was a tribe somewhere, I don't remember. UGH!

Strange customs for us are normal in other cultures.  I wonder sometimes if other cultures shake their heads at us.

I wonder what the significance was about the foot.Smiley Surprised