Respected Contributor

Re: covid and the local jail

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

I would think those making the stupid decision to release criminals early would at least make them wear ankle bracelets and let them know that if they do anything against the law, their fines and time will be tripled.

They are not going to pay their fines and so what if their time is tripled - if they are not having to serve it?

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

I would think those making the stupid decision to release criminals early would at least make them wear ankle bracelets and let them know that if they do anything against the law, their fines and time will be tripled.

They are not going to pay their fines and so what if their time is tripled - if they are not having to serve it?

For one - put them on house arrest. That would be better than nothing. 

For two - send them to states that aren't making this stupid decision (and bill the state they come from).

Furthermore, their wages can be garnished. And it wouldn't hurt to let the victims know that they can sue the families (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) and/or politicians for damages.

Lastly, I believe there will *always* be justice - for all involved - and it would be better to resolve it here and sooner than later. No one gets off in the end. Informing them of that should be a given.

Respected Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I guess this is a rant. Back last spring and summer, someone  was breaking in vehichles, garages, also stole livestock- up on this mountain where I live.  Several items were stolen, actually, over 30 police reports were filed. Well, the cops finally caught this guy and he has been in jail ever since. He is suppose to have a trial in January. His girlfriend lives 3 houses from me. 

He has been released. He was suppose to have a 75,000 bond, but we have been told that due to the severe covid outbreak in the local jail, they have let out several and he is one of them. 

Seems like this covid just affects so many different aspects of our lives.

"Also stole livestock" caught my eye. What did he purportedly steal, and what did he do with it/them?

Can you pawn a cow? Was he selling hot goats? Or did he and his GF consume the booty?

Did the thefts stop when he was imprisoned? Have they started again?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok, so let me see if I understand this correctly if there is an outbreak in the jail they are releasing the so called criminals who commited "lesser crimes"?  So it's better for them among the general population as opposed to being socially distanced in jail?   These are not "high risk" demographics being released.  They are not releasing the 65 and older inmates.    And these are the same people who are most likely to be repeat offenders of a crime and chances are they are going to commit more violent crimes since they feel empowered now that they are released.    Brilliant.

So lets put more people who can spread it all over the place since who is going to take these guys in? Let's pretend we are doing a wonderful thing since they are among the lowest demographinc of severe issues or death from this.  Good grief.    How many people have been under "lockdown" in their homes?  Yet we release these guys to roam around.   Do you think they are going to obey rules?  These guys will be asymptomatic or have very minor symptoms.  And the very few (who might have an underlying condition) will wind up adding to the local hospitals.  How many will have a place to self quarantine? All because "we wouldn't want them to die in jail?" 

Please remember this thing is still highly survivable.   Please remeber a positive test does NOT mean a clinical infection.  Positive does not mean ICU and a ventilator.  These young guys are going to get out, more than likely turn back to drugs, commit crimes and spread it.  They obviously were not upstanding members of society before, and very few will become one upon early release.  They will find getting a job nearly impossible (if they even want to get one)  which leaves theft and violence.  Yeah, this is just a great idea. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo wrote:

Not only is it happening all over, but here prisoners and prison employees were moved to the top of the list to get vaccinations.  Goodness gracious, we can't have any criminals getting sick!

Here in PA, a small tourist area has two prisons, one state and one Federal about a mile apart.  This summer, there was a huge outbreak in both prisons.  The guards and prison workers brought the virus home with them and gave it to their families.

Before long, the local community was sick.  The tourists who went grocery shopping, etc got  it and took it back home with them.

It was pretty awful.    Not everyone in prison is a criminal and not all criminals are " bad" people.  My DH who was a police officer for 35 years has said many times that there are more criminals on our streets than who are in prison.  They just haven't been caught yet.

The purpose of the vaccines is not to reward or punish people who are in prisons, the goal is is to keep the community safe.  People live and work in areas where there are prisons.

Esteemed Contributor

Excerpts from:  themarshallproject.org/2020/05/01/a-state-by-state-look-at-coronavirus-in-prisons

By Dec. 15, at least 276,235 people in prison had tested positive for the illness

There have been at least 1,738 deaths from coronavirus reported among prisoners.

Since the start of the pandemic, more than 67,883 prison staff members have tested positive—with new cases at an all-time high the week of Nov. 24. Testing information for staff remains spotty in most states. Prisons have publicly reported 113 deaths among staff.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

@Carmie  I'm sure there are some that have been wrongly imprisoned but how do you figure out who they are?  Unless they are releasing the high risk 65 and older, or those with  underlying immune conditions that make them more likely to get severe symptoms, why are we releasing the least likely to be anything other than asymptomatic? 

You say the prison guards and workers brought the virus home, do we know where these prisoners will go once they are released?  If they are in a "lockdown" state do you really think they will remain "locked down"?   If they were drug offenders do you think they won't start back up upon release?   And whose to say the ones that are actually guilty won't commit more crimes now? 

And of course there are more criminals in the street than in prisons if there weren't we wouldn't need more prisons, or more police officers.  Why release the ones we have back out on the streets?  Just because they "might" be one of the few that did not commit a crime?  In the news everyday are reports of  released criminals being arrested again for commiting crimes again.   I understand your empathy with those that were wrongly imprisoned but I believe the actual demographic of who are having the most severe symptoms from this should take top priority over anything and anyone.  It's what should have been done in the first place.  Treating everyone the same when we clearly are not has not done any good.  There should be demographics based on risk level and depending on where you fall on the chart should determine what you need to do.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@tototwo wrote:

Not only is it happening all over, but here prisoners and prison employees were moved to the top of the list to get vaccinations.  Goodness gracious, we can't have any criminals getting sick!

Here in PA, a small tourist area has two prisons, one state and one Federal about a mile apart.  This summer, there was a huge outbreak in both prisons.  The guards and prison workers brought the virus home with them and gave it to their families.

Before long, the local community was sick.  The tourists who went grocery shopping, etc got  it and took it back home with them.

It was pretty awful.    Not everyone in prison is a criminal and not all criminals are " bad" people.  My DH who was a police officer for 35 years has said many times that there are more criminals on our streets than who are in prison.  They just haven't been caught yet.

The purpose of the vaccines is not to reward or punish people who are in prisons, the goal is is to keep the community safe.  People live and work in areas where there are prisons.

@Carmie, thanks for your minority view with which I totally agree.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

If they haven't had their trial yet, they aren't convicted criminals yet. They haven't been proven guilty of the crime in question yet. We are all considered innocent until proven guilty. The authorities might have mistakenly picked up the wrong person. It does happen occasionally, which is a grave injustice. The trial is where that gets sorted out fairly. Until then, they are just a person who has been accused.

So people in jail awaiting trial, or out on bail or bond, do have rights, just like any of us would. That's why a fair and speedy trial, with the ability to appeal, is so important.

And whatever rules you apply to one person, you have to apply to everyone. So it's important to think carefully about the unintended consequences of these decisions. If you wouldn't want it to happen to a member of your family if they were somehow accused (unfairly or otherwise) of a crime, then you can't advocate for it to happen to anyone else accused of the same crime.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

If they haven't had their trial yet, they aren't convicted criminals yet. They haven't been proven guilty of the crime in question yet. We are all considered innocent until proven guilty. The authorities might have mistakenly picked up the wrong person. It does happen occasionally, which is a grave injustice. The trial is where that gets sorted out fairly. Until then, they are just a person who has been accused.

So people in jail awaiting trial, or out on bail or bond, do have rights, just like any of us would. That's why a fair and speedy trial, with the ability to appeal, is so important.

And whatever rules you apply to one person, you have to apply to everyone. So it's important to think carefully about the unintended consequences of these decisions. If you wouldn't want it to happen to a member of your family if they were somehow accused (unfairly or otherwise) of a crime, then you can't advocate for it to happen to anyone else accused of the same crime.

@Porcelain, have ever told you that I sometimes read your posts and think, wow. that's an excellent point that I wish I had made? Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland