Honored Contributor

Re: covid and the local jail

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain, have ever told you that I sometimes read your posts and think, wow. that's an excellent point that I wish I had made? Heart

Coming from you especially, with all the very important points you make, that's a wonderful compliment. Thank you! Heart

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@eadu4   No where did I say or imply anyone was wrongly imprisoned.  Most people who go to prison break laws. That's not disputed.

I don't like it, but sometimes we have to accept things that are being done for the good of the community and mankind.

Many people go to prison and I am sure many posters here have been in prison as have members of their family.  That doesn't make them evil and not deserving of vaccines or the ability to keep themselves healthy. And you can't make a blanket statement saying all will recommit crimes or not practice social distancing or wearing masks.

We have no choice. This is happening.  Complaining won't help.  

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@eadu4   No where did I say or imply anyone was wrongly imprisoned.  Most people who go to prison break laws. That's not disputed.

I don't like it, but sometimes we have to accept things that are being done for the good of the community and mankind.

Many people go to prison and I am sure many posters here have been in prison as have members of their family.  That doesn't make them evil and not deserving of vaccines or the ability to keep themselves healthy. And you can't make a blanket statement saying all will recommit crimes or not practice social distancing or wearing masks.

We have no choice. This is happening.  Complaining won't help.  

many posters here have been in prison??

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

If they haven't had their trial yet, they aren't convicted criminals yet. They haven't been proven guilty of the crime in question yet. We are all considered innocent until proven guilty. The authorities might have mistakenly picked up the wrong person. It does happen occasionally, which is a grave injustice. The trial is where that gets sorted out fairly. Until then, they are just a person who has been accused.

So people in jail awaiting trial, or out on bail or bond, do have rights, just like any of us would. That's why a fair and speedy trial, with the ability to appeal, is so important.

And whatever rules you apply to one person, you have to apply to everyone. So it's important to think carefully about the unintended consequences of these decisions. If you wouldn't want it to happen to a member of your family if they were somehow accused (unfairly or otherwise) of a crime, then you can't advocate for it to happen to anyone else accused of the same crime.

"And whatever rules you apply to one person, you have to apply to everyone."

Personally, I'd like to see that rule applied to the "leaders" making all the "rules."

Esteemed Contributor

I'll come to the defense of the general poster community here and say that I very much doubt that "many" have ever been imprisoned.  Most strike me as very law-abiding,  save for a misplaced thread on occasion.   Internal police deal with that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KKJ    You can be sure of it. A few have admitted to it.  Lots of people make mistakes. I don't know how many, but there are quite a few.  The "many" means posters and/or their family members.