Esteemed Contributor

Re: covid and the local jail

@happycat wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

So he was going to get out on bond before his trial anyway? Seems like the same result, just without the money tie to show up at trial.

Except none of us thought he would get out, as he was going to have to come up with 7500.00 and we didn't think that was very much of a posibility. Guess it didn't have to be. 

@happycat 

Except that one only has to come up with 10% of the bail in order to get out.

In this case, 10% of $7,500 = $750

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

So he was going to get out on bond before his trial anyway? Seems like the same result, just without the money tie to show up at trial.

Except none of us thought he would get out, as he was going to have to come up with 7500.00 and we didn't think that was very much of a posibility. Guess it didn't have to be. 

Then that would be unjust. Bond or bail should not be set at an impossible level, even for poor people. It should be a stretch and a deterrent to skipping trial for everyone based on their income level. Impossible bail is for violent offenders. And wealthy violent offenders often meet it anyway.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

MM@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@happycat 

Except that one only has to come up with 10% of the bail in order to get out.

In this case, 10% of $7,500 = $750

It was $75,000 maybe I didn't type it correctly. Anyhow, he is out. And my neighbors and I can't believe it. 

I'm sure @Mz iMac is right, there will be a lot more of this and there has been a lot already. I just wasn't paying a lot of attention, because it wasn't in my town.

And I don't want anyone to die in jail either.

This is just one more effect of this dang virus.

Esteemed Contributor

It's naive to think that only prisoners with "minor offenses" have been released. Look it up, please. Our elderly relatives confined to nursing homes have no less exposure than prisons IMO. Not looking for an argument - we all have our opinions. Just expressing that prisons are prisons for a reason, and releasing convicted felons into the general population is a pretty dangerous thing to do.

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

It's naive to think that only prisoners with "minor offenses" have been released. Look it up, please. Our elderly relatives confined to nursing homes have o less exposure than prisons IMO. Not looking for an argument - we all have our opinions. Just expressing that prisons are prisons for a reason, and releasing convicted felons into the general population is a pretty dangerous thing to do.

You are absolutely right @jannabelle1

I know last week I read on one of the local news outlets online that 5 jailers and over 30 prisoners here had tested positive. I am wondering at what point they prisoner would go to the hospital if he were severely ill with it? The local hospital only has 12 icu beds is what I was told. Its just a mess. 

I am not comfortable with this man being out. I'd probably be even more uncomfortable if I knew who all else was out, but his guy's girlfriend lives too close for comfort to me. 

Honored Contributor

Are we forgetting some who have been released are committing new crimes?

No, they shouldn't be released.  It's innocent lives vs their lives.  Sorry, but I vote for the rights of innocents who have done nothing wrong.  

Esteemed Contributor

Not only is it happening all over, but here prisoners and prison employees were moved to the top of the list to get vaccinations.  Goodness gracious, we can't have any criminals getting sick!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Are we forgetting some who have been released are committing new crimes?

No, they shouldn't be released.  It's innocent lives vs their lives.  Sorry, but I vote for the rights of innocents who have done nothing wrong.  

@Foxxee, Oh, I'm sure they are committing new crimes. Why wouldn't they? I feel like they have a free pass at this point.

This young 20 something that lives so close to me is a professional at it. No telling what he will get his hands on by the time he goes to trial in January. I'm honestly wondering if they will pospone the trial because of covid.

Respected Contributor

@happycatI was robbed by an 18 to 20 something year olds and his ring of thugs. This is before Covid five years ago, but since he gave information the judge let him out  free on probation and he went on to rob NINE more times. Seemed to be a joke to him.

What I went through I was angry. Steal stuff to Pawn in the Urban area for drugs. He lived with Grandparents I knew down my road. Preyed on single women who were working in the daytime. He finally did time with a different judge. He will continue.....Do the best you can to lock up tight and neighborhood watch and hope he gets what he deserves. 

Respected Contributor

I would think those making the stupid decision to release criminals early would at least make them wear ankle bracelets and let them know that if they do anything against the law, their fines and time will be tripled.