Honored Contributor

Re: computer for in experienced person

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Another possibility is a tablet.  I wore out an iPad and replaced it with a Samsung S2 tablet which has been wonderful.  It's lightweight and very portable; I kick back in my recliner to do my surfing.  Mine has an expandable memory so it has the capacity of holding a lot of pictures, data or whatever.

So he can use it to order from web sites?

@goldensrbest.  It will do everything a computer will do.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest  Tablets would work to order things too.  You just have to be mindful IMO of the size to make sure they can see what they are looking at and of course the keyboard would be virtual which might be a learning curve but easily picked up.  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz.  I would not buy another iPad either.  Overpriced for what you get.  There are other options.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

If all they will be doing is surfing the web, I would recommend a Chromebook.  I love mine and it's become my number one device. 

Just pop it open and you're on the web.  No virus software either.  Very simple and fairly inexpensive if they aren't looking to do much.   

I absolutlely agree with this. A Mac computer is overpowered for just using email and ordering things online and you can save a lot of money by getting a Chromebook/Netbook instead.

I just ordered an Asus Chrombook Flip yesterday. I'll be using it for  social media online shopping, email, and Google Docs/Sheets.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not buying it for him,just trying to get him interested,he takes my 83 yr old mom ,out to stores like jcp,and others to find clothing she needs, yesterday they went there for bras,she found one ,29.00 ,same bra on web ,$13.00, just keeps happening ,she gets wore out.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I am not buying it for him,just trying to get him interested,he takes my 83 yr old mom ,out to stores like jcp,and others to find clothing she needs, yesterday they went there for bras,she found one ,29.00 ,same bra on web ,$13.00, just keeps happening ,she gets wore out.

That would make such a profound difference for them!   Over the course of time for many needs and wants the amount they could save would be huge.

My husband pretty much doesn't shop online and some of the things he buys he could have gotten so much cheaper online.    He does do the internet, email, and such, but just doesn't do shopping or shopping research and just buys whatever for however much a given BM store is asking.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Check to see what a local repair shop has that they might sell you. Ask if it's been refurbished, and up to date on Windows 10. You can usually get one for a couple hundred dollars. That way if he refuses to work at learning to use it, you aren't out a bunch of money. New and full of bells and whistles will cost and be difficult for a beginner. Hardly anyone needs a T byte of hard drive. Ordering and email doesn't take a lot of speed either. Memory is important, though. 

Honored Contributor

I told her that kohls had cotton panties on sale ,told her the price,they went and she said they did not have them ,they got help after waiting and asking still did not get them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest  Do they have Wi-fi (internet access) in their home?

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

If it will only be used for web surfing and ordering online, I would recommend going with a cheap tablet such as the Amazon.  A chrome book is also a good option if a keyboard and mouse would be helpful for them.

I wouldn't spend the money on an iPad or most of the laptops which QVC offers.  Sounds like it would be a waste.