Honored Contributor

Re: computer for in experienced person

@goldensrbest wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@goldensrbest  Do they have Wi-fi (internet access) in their home?

No they would have to get it.

What does your brother have to say about this?  Unless he is on board and willing to learn how to use any type of computer or tablet, and get internet access, none of this matters.  

Respected Contributor

Chromebook for sure.  For all of the reasons others have mentioned.  Plus, you can get one for under $200.00.  Good starting point.  Once they get the hang of it, down the road you can go up in features , if they want.   Once my macbook air dies, I'm getting a chromebook for sure.

Respected Contributor

After returning the last hp Tsv that only worked for an hour after turning it on, ‘I purchased the Google Pixelbook.  It’s a fabulous device.  Even has Google Assistant on it.  It’s expensive though just under 1,000 dollars, but to me it was worth the money spent.  It’s made well, and you don’t need any antivirus with it.  I love this chrome book.   Extremely happy with the purchase.  

Honored Contributor

All i can do is encourage him to get one.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I have an Acer, my 2nd in fact along with my 7" tablet. The tablet I bought here and the laptops from amazom. Great pricing at amazon. Did my homework with the offerings there, what I wanted to have, and good advice from my sister. I love all my Acer products and acer.com is very easy to work with if needed (which was with my tablet which was not a q problem).

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Yea, but then he has pay to have internet service installed.  This is a costly venture.  No money is being saved in the long run.  Internet service is not cheap. I can see that you're trying to help your mother.  I don't believe having your brother get a computer/tablet is going really going to help.

Another poster mentioned you purchasing what your mother wants and shipping it to her.  Is that an option rather than shelling out monies for a computer and monthly internet fees?

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest  I am very skeptical of this endeavour.  For one thing, if someone isn't eager to learn to use a device like this, it is daunting and frustrating.  If they have to get wifi it negates an savings right there.

It is time consuming and sometimes baffling to shop on line and you might be sending a lot back because it isn't what you expected it to be.  Also, how much clothing does a woman that age need to acquire?  

If they aren't eager and on board, I'd say let them alone.  I don't think you could save enough money in any case by going online, and then there is the temptation to shop a lot. . . 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest  You're very kind to help them with this.  I think the posters here have done a good job listing pros and cons.  Good luck!

Super Contributor

I have had my Samsung tablet for over 5 years and still works great.  I have used it to order from Amazon and QVC with no problems.  I even use it for mah jong type games or to read books.  Very lightweight and was a very reasonable cost at the time.

Trusted Contributor

my mos is retired and just recently got into playing games... i let her try my chrome notebook and she has no idea what shes doing... but the more she uses it, the easier it is.... she can sit for hrs and play games on it... i'm going to buy her one,,, i love mine and its soooo easy to use... all shes doing on it is playing games... shes in her 70's and not computer savvy at all.... i had to show her how to even use the pad on the computer..... but the more she plays with it the easier it becomes.... soon i'm going to get another notebook....  love mine!!