Honored Contributor

computer for in experienced person

Trying to get my brother ,he is  50, to get one ,so he and my mom can order things,  what brand and type would be good, not expensive ,like a apple.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Re: computer for in experienced person

I have a Dell desktop that I've been happy with.  It's probably about 8 years old but still going strong.  I researched what I wanted and ordered it from their website. 

Honored Contributor

If all they will be doing is surfing the web, I would recommend a Chromebook.  I love mine and it's become my number one device. 

Just pop it open and you're on the web.  No virus software either.  Very simple and fairly inexpensive if they aren't looking to do much.   

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest  I would think twice before getting one.  If he isn't invested in it enough to use it, he won't and you'll be out some cash.  There is a learning curve.

Maybe start out with a reconditioned IPad or Apple laptop?  But do talk with him and make sure he is willing to try.  My mom wasn't and we wasted a lot of time and effort and cash even on a cell phone. 

Honored Contributor

Staples has an HP 17" Laptop on sale for $430. It has Intel core i3 with 8gb ddr4 sdram, with 2.2 GHz processor speed & 1 tb hard drive. You can see all the specs on the Staples site. They also have some others on sale. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Honored Contributor

Another possibility is a tablet.  I wore out an iPad and replaced it with a Samsung S2 tablet which has been wonderful.  It's lightweight and very portable; I kick back in my recliner to do my surfing.  Mine has an expandable memory so it has the capacity of holding a lot of pictures, data or whatever.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@goldensrbest  I would think twice before getting one.  If he isn't invested in it enough to use it, he won't and you'll be out some cash.  There is a learning curve.

Maybe start out with a reconditioned IPad or Apple laptop?  But do talk with him and make sure he is willing to try.  My mom wasn't and we wasted a lot of time and effort and cash even on a cell phone. 

ITA with Sooner on this.

Furthermore, IMO, if you do end up buying something be sure to look around and don't buy it from a tv shopping channel.  For the same amount of money you can usually get something more current and more useful.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Another possibility is a tablet.  I wore out an iPad and replaced it with a Samsung S2 tablet which has been wonderful.  It's lightweight and very portable; I kick back in my recliner to do my surfing.  Mine has an expandable memory so it has the capacity of holding a lot of pictures, data or whatever.

So he can use it to order from web sites?

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

If all they will be doing is surfing the web, I would recommend a Chromebook.  I love mine and it's become my number one device. 

Just pop it open and you're on the web.  No virus software either.  Very simple and fairly inexpensive if they aren't looking to do much.   

I was thinking a chrome book might be good.

Honored Contributor

I would have a problem going the tablet route. 

I don't know how other tablets work but I bought an expensive iPad which I can no longer update so it's worthless when it comes to using it to order online. It's not safe since it cannot be updated.

I think it's a bunch of BS to pay that kind of money on an iPad that I can no longer update. I don't have that problem with the desktop or laptop computers.

I won't be buying another Apple iPad. I got mad & threw mine across the floor. LOL!!! It still works.