Honored Contributor

college degrees and getting a job

My neice has her MBA and is a VP for a large National bank she also works PT as a college professor at a local university. Yesterday she had to spend some time career counseling some of her students and she was telling me about how so many of these kids are in college now but still have no defined goal cereer wise. I was absolutely agreeing with her. This is a huge part of why so many graduate and can't find jobs - employeers now don't want someone with a liberal arts degree.Employers now expect kids to clearly define their goals - empoloyment wise and be trained and ready to work when they apply for a job. She was saying it is so difficult to counsel these kids because she would like to tell them to get on the ball or get out of college & stop wasting their parents money til they have a career goal, but of course she isn't allowed to say that. She just teaches the college version of remedial math so she doesn't exactly have the brightest in her class anyway, and then she said the lack of focus is just so sad.