Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,892
Registered: ‎09-18-2010

Re: check out at Walmart


@Chessylady wrote:

You don't have to shop at a store that exploits its workers.


Well, not all of us have the luxury of having a target or a kmart or freds. We are down to two walmart stores, and a kroger.
There are drug stores and a dollar general, dollar tree, but everything cannot be found at those.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,143
Registered: ‎11-16-2014

Re: check out at Walmart


@Chessylady wrote:

You don't have to shop at a store that exploits its workers.


The only place I can get diabetic test supplies at a reasonable price is Walmart. The price is half the price of name brand supplies. So not everyone has the luxury of saying no to Walmart.... Just a thought.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,079
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Check out at Target, Kroger, Lowe’s

[ Edited ]

@liverbird wrote:

yes this happens at my Walmart too . Hardly go there now . I had a cart full to the top one day and only 1 cashier on the tills , so I went to self service till , so frustating .

I now shop at Target mostly , the check out process is so quick .


@liverbird 

 

Target is all about the self-checkout, as well.

Kroger...self-checkout, as well.

Lowe’s....self-checkout, as well.

 

And those are just 3 of the places I shopped at this weekend. 

Walmart does not own the monopoly of self-checkout lanes.

 

So, like I predicted....it’s a bag-on-Walmart thread.

🙄

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,892
Registered: ‎09-18-2010

Re: check out at Walmart


@goldensrbest wrote:

I stopped to pick up some things, one person at all the lanes to check out ,rest was self check out. The line was long,  i really do not like the idea of all these self check outs being used,  jobs for people.


Me and dh stopped by wal mart the other day. We had about 7 things in the cart...Just like you, there was one person checking and had a long line. We went to self checkout. DH was running our items thru. I paid for it. Got nearly to the doors to go out, and looked down, God love him, there were two small items in the bottom of the cart, I asked him "did we pay for those" Well, no we did not. So, I grabbed them out to go pay. A cashier who wasn't working saw what had happened and called me over to a free line and ran my two things thru so we could go.

 

I just don't like it. We are not being paid to check out our groceries.

 

And my local Kroger seems to be moving in the direction of Wal Mart. And that stinks cause when I go to Kroger, I usually end up with a cart full of stuff. I don't want to run al that thru myself.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,581
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: check out at Walmart

I don't shop WM because of their practices. I did go into a WM last month to pick up 1 item and stunned to see there was only 1 cashier at the lane that sells cigarettes. All others are now self serve.

 

I counted 12 people in line at the service desk with 1 cashier.

 

This is profitable for WM. If you think they won't hike prices, they will. No doubt this is pushback to the move for higher wages for their empliyees.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,505
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: check out at Walmart


@Chessylady wrote:

You don't have to shop at a store that exploits its workers.


Could not agree more, @Chessylady .  I have not stepped foot in a Wal Mart in over 30yrs.  And I live in the Tulsa area, BIG Wal-Mart country!!!

 

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,664
Registered: ‎06-17-2015

Re: check out at Walmart

I stop in Wal-Mart only if our local grocery chain does not have a house supply item I need.  Both places, however, do have self-check out.

 

The Wal-Mart never seems to be extremely busy anymore but the grocery store is usually very busy with many lines opened. 

 

I see few people using the self-check out but those are for express anyway; not for full carts at the grocery store.

 

We can certainly get into wages and all but it wasn't always like this; with on-line ordering taking a huge dent in shopping in person I can see why there are fewer cashiers today.

" On the last day of the world I would want to plant a tree." -W.S. Merwin
Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,587
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: check out at Walmart


@Snowpuppy wrote:

I don't shop WM because of their practices. I did go into a WM last month to pick up 1 item and stunned to see there was only 1 cashier at the lane that sells cigarettes. All others are now self serve.

 

I counted 12 people in line at the service desk with 1 cashier.

 

This is profitable for WM. If you think they won't hike prices, they will. No doubt this is pushback to the move for higher wages for their empliyees.


@Snowpuppy 

 

I talked with a few employees here at Wal-Mart. Yes they have Health Ins but it does not cover everything. The girls I talked to said they were told what their Ins does not cover they can get the state to help them with because of their low wages?

Wal-Mart makes enough money to pay their employees better than they do. They can also provide decent health care. They are just greedy & sticking the money in their own pockets.

Yes they will continue to raise their prices like everyone else. It's not always cheaper at Wal-Mart.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,632
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: check out at Walmart

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I don't shop WM because of their practices. I did go into a WM last month to pick up 1 item and stunned to see there was only 1 cashier at the lane that sells cigarettes. All others are now self serve.

 

I counted 12 people in line at the service desk with 1 cashier.

 

This is profitable for WM. If you think they won't hike prices, they will. No doubt this is pushback to the move for higher wages for their empliyees.


@Snowpuppy 

 

I talked with a few employees here at Wal-Mart. Yes they have Health Ins but it does not cover everything. The girls I talked to said they were told what their Ins does not cover they can get the state to help them with because of their low wages?

Wal-Mart makes enough money to pay their employees better than they do. They can also provide decent health care. They are just greedy & sticking the money in their own pockets.

Yes they will continue to raise their prices like everyone else. It's not always cheaper at Wal-Mart.


Interesting that you use the self check out counters and order groceries online because they are easier, yet still take up employees time with conversations about their benefits and wages.  Guess that is why there are such long lines the others are complaining about,  Do you have those same conversations everywhere you shop or just at Walmart?

You never look good trying to make someone else look bad.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,632
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: check out at Walmart


@Snowpuppy wrote:

I don't shop WM because of their practices. I did go into a WM last month to pick up 1 item and stunned to see there was only 1 cashier at the lane that sells cigarettes. All others are now self serve.

 

I counted 12 people in line at the service desk with 1 cashier.

 

This is profitable for WM. If you think they won't hike prices, they will. No doubt this is pushback to the move for higher wages for their empliyees.


Smiley LOL

You never look good trying to make someone else look bad.