Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

You don't have to shop at a store that exploits its workers.

If the workers feel they are being exploited they can find a different job. They are not chained to their work stations.

@froggy, if employees' claims of exploitation have validity, they should not have to find a different job. Certainly it's an option for some, but not for everyone. Besides, the logical extension of that is that no employer needs to be held responsible.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

You don't have to shop at a store that exploits its workers.

If the workers feel they are being exploited they can find a different job. They are not chained to their work stations.

@froggy, if employees' claims of exploitation have validity, they should not have to find a different job. Certainly it's an option for some, but not for everyone. Besides, the logical extension of that is that no employer needs to be held responsible.

If WM is breaking the law in any way I am all in favor of them being held responsible.

Honored Contributor

Re: check out at Walmart

[ Edited ]

most of the big grocery stores here are closing due to two big Walmarts that opened the last couple of years....neighbors vehemently opposed WM because of the poorly maintained parking lots, they allow panhandlers to harass customers in the parking lot and inside the stores, and they are open 24/7...imagine how the residential areas right next to them deal with the constant come and go of delivery 18 wheelers....we are now left with almost nowhere else to shop for groceries that is less than a half hour drive. The WM that I go to when I have to looks like it has been there 20 years and it is only three years old. I also see a lot of employees standing around, usually at least 2-3, visiting with each other while one cashier is working at a register...the self-checkout is usually the only real option...but it hasn't stolen jobs from people....they are there...just not working!

Super Contributor

They are currently installing the numerous self-checkouts at my WalMart. It offers options to those who don't want to stand in line.  I will say that I switched to grocery shopping at Walmart and I am saving a lot of money over the local grocery store chain. 

Respected Contributor

I like the self checkouts better at any store I shop at.  I know where everything is when I bag it.   I think stores are employing more people with the delivery services they offer.

Honored Contributor
The self check-outs are always great since they have so few cashiers actually working..... but only if the self check-out machines work consistently.
Regular Contributor

I have never used self check out and never will.  If that would end up being my only choice I'd leave a full cart and walk out.  First of all it puts people out of a job and secondly Walmart can give me a 15% discount for doing all the work.  They tick me off and I've been avoiding shopping there

Trusted Contributor

Personally I use self checkout to avoid annoying customers. I always get stuck behind people who seem surprised that they have coupons or suddenly remember that they need to get the checkbook out. Or watching their stuff pile up at the end of the belt and don't help bag.

Respected Contributor

@twocatlou wrote:

I have never used self check out and never will.  If that would end up being my only choice I'd leave a full cart and walk out.  First of all it puts people out of a job and secondly Walmart can give me a 15% discount for doing all the work.  They tick me off and I've been avoiding shopping there

do you think cashiers make 15% of what they ring up?

Regular Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@twocatlou wrote:

do you think cashiers make 15% of what they ring up?

They get paid an hourly wage.  My shopping there contributes to their pay check.  If Walmart lets people go and wants me to check out my items 15% is little in return for pi$$ing me off.