Esteemed Contributor

No doubt Walmart is changing - it's cheaper for them to have self check-out stations, but there are also employees who used to work the cash registers who are now going aisle to aisle filling on-line orders. DH has a few friends who have worked there for many years - they stay because they've worked up to a decent salary and good benefits. Shoppers have changed in the last couple of years - order online and let an employee shop for you. They're sure not going to keep all their employees at a cash register when more people want to shop online! The rest of us need to support our local grocers.

Honored Contributor

Re: check out at Walmart

[ Edited ]

I will wait in line before I use a self-checkout anywhere.  I don't work there.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I don't shop WM because of their practices. I did go into a WM last month to pick up 1 item and stunned to see there was only 1 cashier at the lane that sells cigarettes. All others are now self serve.

I counted 12 people in line at the service desk with 1 cashier.

This is profitable for WM. If you think they won't hike prices, they will. No doubt this is pushback to the move for higher wages for their empliyees.

@Snowpuppy 

I talked with a few employees here at Wal-Mart. Yes they have Health Ins but it does not cover everything. The girls I talked to said they were told what their Ins does not cover they can get the state to help them with because of their low wages?

Wal-Mart makes enough money to pay their employees better than they do. They can also provide decent health care. They are just greedy & sticking the money in their own pockets.

Yes they will continue to raise their prices like everyone else. It's not always cheaper at Wal-Mart.

Interesting that you use the self check out counters and order groceries online because they are easier, yet still take up employees time with conversations about their benefits and wages.  Guess that is why there are such long lines the others are complaining about,  Do you have those same conversations everywhere you shop or just at Walmart?

@CrazyDaisy, this is kind of an odd reaction to @Nightowlz's comment. She didn't say that she was in line at the time she spoke to some employees. But even if she were, the conversation wasn't necessarily any longer than the normal chitchat that goes on during checkout.

Normal chitchat would not include a person's wages and healthcare coverage.  Who with any class would have that discussion with a total stranger in a Walmart.

@CrazyDaisy, I don't think that @Nightowlz said that they discussed personal wages.

I have been privy to a few employees' conversations at my supermarket regarding employee issues.

Of course you have

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Self-Service Gas

It’s an expensive, messy, smelly, dangerous product.

But we’re ok with pumping our own gas.

And most will continue to pay no matter how much the price increases. 

And talking about what CEOs make...the oil CEOs seem

to be in the top 100 most of the time. 

Are we bothered we eliminated the full-service attendant jobs?

No

Are we bothered we’re ‘doing someone else’s work’ by filling our

own gas tanks?

No

So why the angst over checking your own market items?

Self-service isn’t a new idea. 

Next Comparison:  ATMs.....

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I stopped to pick up some things, one person at all the lanes to check out ,rest was self check out. The line was long,  i really do not like the idea of all these self check outs being used,  jobs for people.

I have actually reduced my shopping at Walmart for that reason.  I do not want to scan my own stuff every time.  I will go to a store that may be a little higher just to get in a line with a cashier.  I do this when I just need a few things.  The truth is at most stores where I live  most items cost twice as much as they do at Walmart.  I was  told by a Walmart employee that no one is applying for cashier jobs.  Well what happened to the cashiers who were there before self check out?  I did not get to ask this question.  It was busy.

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I stopped to pick up some things, one person at all the lanes to check out ,rest was self check out. The line was long,  i really do not like the idea of all these self check outs being used,  jobs for people.

The Walmart I shop at has A LOT of cash registers but never more than 2 or 3 or ever open.  They started with just a few self check outs but that has doubled in number.  My local Kroger is really pushing self check out.  Kroger re-did their parking lot and there are now spots for self check out and pick up when ordering on line.  Also with the their coupons via their APP, there are coupons specifically only for online shopping and pickup/delivery.  I guess that's they way it's heading. 
Trusted Contributor

Have the same thing at the Walmart I shop..Shop early in the am one checker.Same thing if I shop early another day.I guess they just don’t want a job.Hate shopping there,but I still go there,close to home.

Honored Contributor

Re: check out at Walmart

[ Edited ]

Walmart is forced to do this because of today's retail competition and in particular "everyone's favorite" ----AMAZON----Amazon is covering all the retail bases and even adding cashierless B&M Stores .....So to keep up with the competition, and keep prices low and competitive Walmart is doing what they have to do to stay in business...cashierless stores reduces expenses and is the trend for ALL retailers....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

Walmarts clothes resemble some of QVC's or cuter at 1/4 the price.  Retail is all similar just at different levels.  It affords me some fun things to wear and for my home.  I'm 78, on SS and I work another lace for 12.00 an hour.  Yes somethings are less convient but they try.  

Respected Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

You don't have to shop at a store that exploits its workers.

If the workers feel they are being exploited they can find a different job. They are not chained to their work stations.