Honored Contributor

Re: check out at Walmart

[ Edited ]

My WM Superstore opens at 5am and that's when I get there, usually on Sundays when no one's around. But before I go, I have already placed several orders on-line to pick up at the big Pick-Up Tower. There's usually only one full-service register open and I'm the only one in line. I'm usually in and out within 20 to 25 minutes without a hitch.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Is this a thread about the evils of self-checkout....

or just another bag-on-Walmart thread?

This is about PEOPLE THAT WORK THERE ,GETTING THE SHAFT!!!

@goldensrbest 

But other retailers have the e.x.a.c.t same practice.

Why not pick on them? Like Target, Kroger, Lowe’s, etc.

Super Contributor

Walmart is expected to offer lower prices..You cannot expect every employee to have above average  healthcare.. It is a buisness,not a nonprofit....I will not eat irradiated  meat,imported fruit or  imported seafood. I do get my dogs insulin there..Maybe a plant.I order my groceries at another store. Have them delivered.Buy staples in bulk at Amazon.Order my clothes online and Etsy..Sometimes unless I have appointments I stay home!I dont miss crowds.Love my selection of  options.

I think saving a dollar isnt worth if it is a hassle. You can either complain about prices or lack of service. Walmart seems to have chosen cheap prices in favor of service.Shop with your money where you are comfortable..

Respected Contributor
I try to avoid Walmart as much as possible. It tires me out physically to shop there and then when I'm ready, it's one or two cashiers and all self serve. And the majority of people have the carts piled high so you're waiting a long time.

But all stores are doing it. Target, Weis, Shoprite...they want to pay less for employees and they're saving money by having customers check and bag. Home Depot's been doing it for years. But the machines are so sensitive you end up calling a clerk to help you, especially when it comes to produce.

There are a lot of things we can do ourselves, but I feel those self checkouts should be limited to a certain number of items and cashiers should be available for the very full carts.
Esteemed Contributor

In my town Big Y (large grocery store) had the self check-out for awhile then did away with them and went back to real people checking you out. Supposedly because of not wanting to reduce the number of jobs. But the Home Depot in my town seems to be adding more self-checkouts than they had before. The grocery store I go to more often is the one WITH self check-outs because I like doing it myself, it's always quicker especially with a just a few items.

Respected Contributor

Every store that I can think of in my big city has self checkout.  I, for one, choose that option over standing a long line waiting for one of the few cashiers.  I worked in a grocery store for a number of years so I'm quite proficient at it.  Saves me a lot of time.

Respected Contributor

My beef about self checkout (anywhere) is that there is not enough space.  I never attempt to use it if I have a cartful.

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I don't shop WM because of their practices. I did go into a WM last month to pick up 1 item and stunned to see there was only 1 cashier at the lane that sells cigarettes. All others are now self serve.

I counted 12 people in line at the service desk with 1 cashier.

This is profitable for WM. If you think they won't hike prices, they will. No doubt this is pushback to the move for higher wages for their empliyees.

The CEO made $24 mil last year. Walmart is big on squeezing EVERYONE but the top brass. 

I don’t shop there and am happy to pay 10 cents more for lettuce elsewhere 

Honored Contributor

Re: check out at Walmart

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I don't shop WM because of their practices. I did go into a WM last month to pick up 1 item and stunned to see there was only 1 cashier at the lane that sells cigarettes. All others are now self serve.

I counted 12 people in line at the service desk with 1 cashier.

This is profitable for WM. If you think they won't hike prices, they will. No doubt this is pushback to the move for higher wages for their empliyees.

@Snowpuppy 

I talked with a few employees here at Wal-Mart. Yes they have Health Ins but it does not cover everything. The girls I talked to said they were told what their Ins does not cover they can get the state to help them with because of their low wages?

Wal-Mart makes enough money to pay their employees better than they do. They can also provide decent health care. They are just greedy & sticking the money in their own pockets.

Yes they will continue to raise their prices like everyone else. It's not always cheaper at Wal-Mart.

Interesting that you use the self check out counters and order groceries online because they are easier, yet still take up employees time with conversations about their benefits and wages.  Guess that is why there are such long lines the others are complaining about,  Do you have those same conversations everywhere you shop or just at Walmart?

@CrazyDaisy, this is kind of an odd reaction to @Nightowlz's comment. She didn't say that she was in line at the time she spoke to some employees. But even if she were, the conversation wasn't necessarily any longer than the normal chitchat that goes on during checkout.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

There is a Target close to my job. They pay $12/hr starting wage. Walmart pays $8.50/hr.  Target in Detroit pays $15/hr. Aldi here is unionized. Their cashiers and warehouse people earn decent pay while keeping their no frills stores profitable.

I'm all for capitalism and corporate profitability but when you have an oversized big box footprint for aging stores with questionable merchandising, then slash employees to make your store appear profitable, there's something wrong.