Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I stopped to pick up some things, one person at all the lanes to check out ,rest was self check out. The line was long,  i really do not like the idea of all these self check outs being used,  jobs for people.

Walmart is trying to compete with Amazon.  I think that is one reason for the self check outs, so less employees needed as cashiers.  

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Re: check out at Walmart

[ Edited ]

Although, the Walmart near me recently added 3 more self-checkouts, there have always been at least 4 lanes open, 1-2 for under 20 items and 2-3 for more.  If there are more than 5 people in line, more registers are opened.  I always look for the fasted cashiers. I think it depends on the manager how the store is run.

I shop at Walmart because I don't want to pay, for example, a $1.00 more for a quart of F A G E yogurt and for a bottle of Tide.  It adds up and I'd rather use that money elsewhere.  

Although, I have been in a few bad Walmarts in the past, this one is clean, well managed, and never swamped like a lot of them, but still shop at local grocery stores because they carry different things Walmart doesn't. 

This Walmart is open 24 hours, so often I shop at off hours when I can breeze right though checkout.  Sometimes, I shop online for non-perishables.  The order is delivered free by UPS in 1 1/2 days if I purchase $35.

I will not use self-checkout anywhere unless a discount is given  for doing so.  

Respected Contributor

I guess I am old school, but I'd never order my groceries on-line.  I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and I don't want someone giving me a pound of soft mushy grapes or a limp cucumber or old wilted lettuce.  I like to pick out my own and try to get the freshest I can pick.

I only use self-checkout if I don't have all that much stuff.  The Walmart near me is such a busy place - getting out of there is a real challenge - I only go if I really have to, maybe once a month.  They usually have at least 2-3 checkers open, but the lines can be long depending on the time of day.  Self-checkout is usually pretty busy as well.

I think I saw on the news that $11.00/hr. is minimum wage at Walmart.  Bernie wants it raised to $15./hr.  In the end we will all be paying for it one way or another.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Is this a thread about the evils of self-checkout....

or just another bag-on-Walmart thread?

This is about PEOPLE THAT WORK THERE ,GETTING THE SHAFT!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wal-Mart doesn't "exploit" their employees any worse than hundreds of other businesses. Department stores; fast food places and restaurant servers; day care businesses; etc., etc., etc. If anything, aside from cashiers,  Wal-Mart employees appear to work less since dodging customers, standing around talking with their friends and co-workers, etc. Is their specialty.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Then I guess you are talking about every place that offers self check-out lanes, not just Walmart as the title line indicates.  There are so many other places, several McDonalds have those kiosks now where you order and pay...no more cashiers

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

I was a bit resistant at first about the self checkouts at walmart, but now I love them.  One of the main reasons, I'm a germaphobe and it always sort of skeeved me out having someone checkout my stuff, especially during cold and flu season.  Think of all the things they touch in a day that other people touch.  I know its kind of crazy, but the least amount of hands on my items, the better.  I will say the super Walmart I go to is in a very nice upscale area and is always well kept and clean.  My big gripe these days are all the people in the store pulling items for the people who buy online and pick up, where I live a lot of people use that service.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Then I guess you are talking about every place that offers self check-out lanes, not just Walmart as the title line indicates.  There are so many other places, several McDonalds have those kiosks now where you order and pay...no more cashiers

I guess i am, nothing wrong with being concerned about what is going on.But as i said ,i was at walmart!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I prefer self check out, just don't care for those selfie cameras.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Walmart I go to is a Super Walmart I guess; huge grocery section. They have self checkout with 10 slots and 1 employee watching over it. Then they have a "you scan it yourself" with 8 openings (what is the difference between the 2? I don't get it but there it is). Then they have 20 checkout aisles. I have NEVER been there when all are opened. It's usually 4. THEN they have 3 express checkout aisles, always covered with someone working the register.

What I've noticed is that the employee's who work the registers are SLOW. I mean... SLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW. It's amazing how many people can cruise through the self checkout/scanner counters while ONE customer is waiting to be checked out. THIS is a problem that I don't believe Walmart addresses.

Are you really going to stand in line for 35 mintues plus (the longest I waited before giving up and going to self checkout) and then stand for another long amount of time to be rung up or zip through self-checkout? Don't want to think what the holidays are like!!!