Trusted Contributor

Re: candles on a birthday cake

i’d suggest making a smaller version of the birthday cake -

and put a single candle or a number candle on it, for blowing out. have one (or more) flanking the big cake. nothing fancy. even just a pretty festive cupcake. 

Honored Contributor

We lived through all the celebrations with candles (some having many!). I don't worry about that. I like the recipient to make a wish. Pictures of them blowing out the candles is nice.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

My mom used to put cellophane over the cake when we were kids.  That way no one spit on the cake.  Smiley Very Happy

Then the frosting would come off. It has never crossed my mind about people blowing out candles and germs. I am a hand washer too.

Respected Contributor

We also do a cupcake or a mini cake for the candles.  Always works.

Valued Contributor

This has been a pet peeve of my husband and me for forever.  Especially when they put on lots of candles and  repeated attempts of blowing them out.  Nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes  but when you actually see someone blowing and spitting, especially kids, well count us out.  Call us whatever you want.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes it's best not to think about some things.  We've all been eating birthday cake for our whole lives and none of us have dropped dead from it yet.   It's not very sanitary but nothing about our everyday lives is sanitary.  We just have to use common sense.  If the birthday boy or girl has a cold or cough, they should dispense with the blowing out the candles.  I think it's perfectly ok for someone to say  "Bob, you have that cough.  why don't we cut the cake first and you you can blow out the candle on your piece".   Yeah!  I did that...lol   In my family we use those big candles that are numerals so there are only two on the cake,  blowing them out is just a quick blow.  Unlike someone blowing out 41 candles on a cake.  My guess, this more hygeinic than shaking hands with someone or opening a door.

Honored Contributor

We stopped with the candles years ago.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It was worse when we had candles on a cake for a coworker's birthday or retirement party.  I do remember seeing spittle at a retirement celebration as the recipient was blowing out the candles and thinking oh well, we love the guy and it's only this once.  Times have changed thankfully as we become more aware.  

Honored Contributor

Not that this completely eliminates the problem, but I usually put two candles on the cake; one for the years and one for luck.  It only takes a small puff to blow them out, not multiple huge blasts of saliva.

Better, but not perfect.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

My mom used to put cellophane over the cake when we were kids.  That way no one spit on the cake.  Smiley Very Happy

@Laura14  There is an episode of the TV show Monk (the germophobe detective) where I think it's Capt. Stottlemeyer's birthday and Monk made him a cake and put cellophane on it (for when the candles were blown out).  I'm not positive whose birthday it was now, but I do remember that cake with the cellophane all over it.