Valued Contributor

Re: can't use my reusable bags????

Wonder if bringing a box from home into the store and then filling it up to place in the car after paying is an option - kind of like picking up boxes at Costco or Aldi.  Then no bags and you can wipe down the box for the next trip.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A couple of weeks ago, I started seeing posted signs that cashiers may refuse to bag items at their discretion. It didn't surprise me because random samplings of reusable bags have always reflected that they're virtual Petri dishes. Shoppers who claim to launder them after each use are lying lol. What they're doing is tossing them in their car trunks/back seats to breed some more--especially when temperatures rise.

I like these 22-qt Starplast plastic bins (below), and so do the cashiers. They're fully immersible (or simply washed) in a bleach solution, wiped down with wipes, or sprayed with disinfectant. I picked up three, and they fit into a cart. I usually use the half-cart, and wheel that right back to the car, then load the bin(s) in the trunk. 

Black+Multi+Purpose+Bin+22+Quart+Front+Angled+View+Silo+Image.jpeg

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

@kittyloo  I live across the river from you in Vancouver, WA and when we went shopping at Walmart last week I told the clerk I usually bring my reusable bags but forgot them because they are in my car and we took my husband's car. She told me that was OK because they won't let customers use them during the virus time because the virus can live on the bags.  It can also live on plastic bags too so what's the difference? 

Honored Contributor

California here, and yes, if we bring our bags, we have to fill them ourselves. I did that last week, but it held up the line because they are distancing people. Only one shopper can be at the register.

So no problem: I will pay the few pennies for their bags until this all over.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

LOL There will always be people content to stand in the Pay More Here line. But as long as those bags are free for some, and not others, I won't be one of them.

As a local writer opined when the plastic bag ban went into effect here, he's reached the gag point with fees and taxes (bag fees, pop bottle deposits, "sugar tax," where applicable, state sales tax, etc.), paid only by some at point of sale.

It shouldn't be a problem to carry a clean receptacle into any store, at any time. To those for whom it apparently is, and will be when this blows over 🤔, I just don't know what to say.

What worries you masters you.
Valued Contributor

I didn't ever like the single use plastic bags so the whole time they were in use I was saying "paper please".  When the single use bag was banned locally and the paper bag fee came in to play I calculated it would cost us around $13 a year to continue using the paper bags at checkout which is fine for me.

libby's folly
Valued Contributor

Yes, here too in my part of  WI although they are not charging for paper. And just when we hear today that plastic is not recylable and never has been. The oil companies have been fooling us into thinking it is so our consciences will be eased and they can keep making new plastic. 

BTW beause they would not let me put my bags on the counter even so that I could bag my own, I put bagged my own on the floor. Stupid maybe, but I don't usually touch the bottom of my bags, nor my floors or carpets so Ithink I''m good