Honored Contributor

Re: can't use my reusable bags????

I have washable for perishable bags that I normally use for grocery shopping, but I use plastic bags now.  I do my own bagging.  I would rather have the plastic now.  I wash my hands constantly now.  Every time  I go outside for the smallest thing, I wash my hands afterwards.  I open all packages on my porch floor.  Even the mail now.   Wash my hands afterwards. 

Honored Contributor

I use my own reusable poly bag.  

I don't use a cart or a basket so I put my items in my poly bag.

I use the self-checkout...and out of there quick, fast & 

with minimal exposure.

I wash it every time I go shopping.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]
Regular Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

Our CA stores will allow us to use our own bag if we pack it ourselves.  If we want them to pack it, there is no extra charge for the paper bag.  

I also am in California and this is exactly how it is for us in my neck of the woods. 

Esteemed Contributor

@AFWIFE wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

Our CA stores will allow us to use our own bag if we pack it ourselves.  If we want them to pack it, there is no extra charge for the paper bag.  

I also am in California and this is exactly how it is for us in my neck of the woods. 

If we use our own bags, the cashier won't bag for us.  If we use the plastic bags, the cashier CAN handle them.  

Honored Contributor

ironically our Governor in the State of Washington just signed a new bill last week making PLASTIC BAGS no longer to be used by stores.....   

AND NOW all the stores will not accept any bags you bring... you are forced to use plastic or paper that they have . 

LIKE WHAT THE.....????

Stupid time to sign such a bill... like wait until this virus thing  is over?

Contributor

Here in CA we have had to bring our own bags or pay $.10 each for reusable pladtic bags. I carry a thermal tote with all of my reusables in my car so I always have them handy. This week I did a grocery pickup from Wal-Mart. Thet had me stay in my car, pop the trunk lid, and had my groceries in WM plastic bags for which there was no charge. The clerk "signed" the electronic receipt for me with my permission. I tossed those bags into our recycle bin when I got home. I appreciate their efforts to minimize contact. I will run my own bags through a hot water wash today and put them aside for the duration.... Everybody just hang in there!
Esteemed Contributor

Earlier today for the first time I had to pack my own reusable bags at the small neighborhood grocery store I've been going to (avoiding the large chains). If the cashier said my own bags were the reason she wasn't doing it I missed her saying so. Also, for the first time she sprayed the credit card reader with Lysol before I slid my card in. And no more signing a slip of paper when using a credit card.....maybe due to not wanting everyone using the same pen.

Honored Contributor

Actually, I would prefer to pack my own bags.  In fact, if a bagger is not there when I get all my stuff on the conveyor I will at least start packing my bags until one of the baggers shows up and shoos me away.  

Honored Contributor

First the first time today here in Chicago, Jewel supermarket will not allow reusable bags.  They will not charge for their plastic ones.  The manager said it was to protect their employees.  

We have brought our own bags actually the plastic ones that Jewel gave us when they were free AND we bag our own items.

IMO bagging your own items should be mandatory.  I don't see where reusing bags would cause problems.