Respected Contributor

Re: can't use my reusable bags????

Our CA stores will allow us to use our own bag if we pack it ourselves.  If we want them to pack it, there is no extra charge for the paper bag.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't been using my own bags lately mainly because my shopping trips have only been for a hand-ful of items.  But, I have one of those insulated bags that I usually put all my cold stuff in.  Those can be cleaned inside and out.  But, are they wiping down the bagging area after each customer?  I haven't noticed.  I do use the one-use store bags for the litter box, but if this goes on for another month I'll have more than enough of those for awhile.

Esteemed Contributor

I empty my groceries in the garage with gloves on. My sons do my shopping now for me.  I take them out of the plastic bag, spray and wipe the cans or boxes of food  I also spray the plastic bags and leave them in the garage.  I spray my trunk and leave it open to air. My veggies i wash with soap and water.  

I really have to take the time to think of everything I touch even when walking and pressing the signal button to cross the street. Gloves to get the mail.  Gloves for Amazon or QVC deliveries.  Nothing comes in the house until sprayed or wiped .  I,m lucky to live alone.  Only have to clean my stuff.

I wipe the dog,s paws with Clorox wipes or wash them  after our walk . Never wore shoes in house before this and got criticized for it, but you bring into your home all the cr--p from the street.  Saw a guy spit on the sidewalk yesterday.  All my cloth bags washed.

Respected Contributor

My grocery store Fry's aka as Kroger said you can bring reusable bags but you have to bag your own grocery, if using their plastic bags they will bag it for you. To be honest last week no baggers even with the plastic bags DH bag the groceries himself. The cashier has enough going on so he just did it for her sake & to get out too. I do reuse the plastic bags as trash bags under my sink so I don't have to buy kitchen trashbags. A few times to the trashcan my exercise & not paying for trashbags works for me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm glad stores are taking this extra precaution.  Their workers' lives are more important than what I want or what kind of bag I use.

I worked in a grocery store after retiring.  You should see the bags people bring in.  They are so gross, germy, and dirty.  It was disgusting having to touch many of them.  If I owned a store right now, I wouldn't let people bring in their own bags until we're safely past the pandemic.  And that could be a long time.  

Honored Contributor

If you can't use your own re-useable bags where "free" plastic bags have been banned then they shouldn't be charging for them right now if you are being forced to use the plastic bags.

I don't know if they are or aren't charging, our state hasn't banned plastic bags yet so they are free here anyway.

Honored Contributor

Just thinking this out.....

If the BAG is infected, than the person who is carrying the bag

is infected, as well.  

Cloth/poly/plastic...they can all be carrying the virus.  
🤔🤔🤔.  

I applaud their 'trying different things' but we should assume 

everyone and everything is infected at this point. 

I would think businesses would encourage customers to use

reusable bags...so they could donate their stock of plastic bags

to medical facilities.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is no indication or assurance that new bags, whether paper or plastic or whatever, furnished by stores have been sanitized, sterilized, hermetically sealed prior to you receiving them.

One-use plastic bags?  I reuse or recycle every plastic bag that comes in my house.  Mostly reuse. 

Paper bags were the best, but I can't remember last time I've seen one.

Trusted Contributor

Plastic bags were banned here on March 1.  Great timing, huh?  I think they should un-ban them for the duration at least.   In the meantime I'm glad I have a significant stash of plastic bags that I use for my shopping now then I use them for garbage bags.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

I brought my washable plastic bags when I went to the Safeway early this morning.  You do need to do your own bagging.