Respected Contributor

can't use my reusable bags????

so i live in the state of oregon.  grocery stores are no longer allowed to use the plastic two handled bags we all know and love.  for 5 cents, you can purchase either a paper bag or one of the very special plastic bags. (supposedly able to use multiple times)

most of us carry a trunkload of cloth/reusable bags for shopping.   so my friend tells me yesterday that she was stopped on the way into bi-mart (think Walgreen's, type of store) and prohibited from entering the store with her bags. 

spread of virus.  

i guess wheel your loose groceries out to the car, and bag in your trunk. i went to the bread store, and a small sign stated that we must bag up our own bread.  

keeps getting crazier. 

Honored Contributor

Re: can't use my reusable bags????

I think you'll find that's the case in most states now.  You can't risk people taking reuseable bags into stores, as you have no way of knowing what germs may be on them or if the person has been exposed to COVID-19 (but not yet showing symptoms).

The only safe way to keep allowing shoppers into any kind of stores, is to use new bags each time.  My state has suspended any charge for the bags in these stores, until this pandemic is over.

Honored Contributor

Clapping for Oregon.  I used my bag collection last week when I shopped.  I put them outside as soon as I emptied them and never want to use any of them again!  I hate to revert to plastic, but I believe that's necessary now.

Respected Contributor

Well, well,well. Plastic bags aren't so bad after all.

Honored Contributor

They should have left well enough alone.  Our Walmart (NYS) has new washable plastic bags.  Really nice and thick and don't rip like those previous plastic bags.  But we are still allowed to bring our own.  It wasn't made mandatory (yet) but I'll be darned if I pay for a bag.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can certainly understand your frustration because most of us are on edge lately, but I don't think it's crazy at all. It is another protection for customers, and the poor workers that are exposed everyday.

There is no way to predict which bags may or may not carry the virus, as it lives on surfaces for several days, so I think it is prudent and necessary to use store issued bags. In our area, several of the major retailers are now doing it, but waiving the fee for the bags. As inconvenient as some of the restrictions might be to some, I am in favor of any ACTION that protects us all. 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If customers buy plastic or paper bags at that store, will they let you use the same ones over and over again when you shop there? Aldi's gives us three choices. You can buy their bags & reuse them, you can bring your own, or like you said, you can just wheel the loose groceries out to your car. I've seen customers bring cardboard boxes in, backpacks, etc. I think buying a new bag each time is more hygienic and better due to the virus situation. It could add up, though, if people buy a lot of stuff and especially if it's double bagged.

Respected Contributor

even without the virus some of those reuable bags people use just look unwashed and dirty they're washable so wash them  but too late now

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

so i live in the state of oregon.  grocery stores are no longer allowed to use the plastic two handled bags we all know and love.  for 5 cents, you can purchase either a paper bag or one of the very special plastic bags. (supposedly able to use multiple times)

most of us carry a trunkload of cloth/reusable bags for shopping.   so my friend tells me yesterday that she was stopped on the way into bi-mart (think Walgreen's, type of store) and prohibited from entering the store with her bags. 

spread of virus.  

i guess wheel your loose groceries out to the car, and bag in your trunk. i went to the bread store, and a small sign stated that we must bag up our own bread.  

keeps getting crazier. 

When the "science" of saving he environment conflicts with the "science" of saving lives.

Respected Contributor

I just washed and dried my cloth reusable bags. Not sure if they will allow me to use them. Going to the grocery tomorrow which is anxiety producing.