Trusted Contributor

So glad you are retiring retirement and appreciate your blessings.  I have not been so fortunate.  I retired at not quite age 66 due to cancer complications. Since then I have needed numerous surgeries and treatment.  Even sadder for me, my dad had a stroke less than a month after my retirement. I moved to get as close to his home as possible and shared caregiving of him until he died three years ago.  My mom still is alive at 94, potentially a blessing, but she is legally blind, hard of hearing, and has dementia, leading to more caregiving responsibilities. My sister is a full time caregiver for her husband.  I never married or had children. So, here I am, alone for most of my surgeries, facing another in a few weeks, and left to hiring strangers to care for my cat and to get me to and from surgery. Again, I will come home without anyone to help me.  Friends who stuck around while I was busy with my parents now have either died or have moved south.  So, retirement has not turned out the way I thought it would.  I am thankful to still be standing, but I am tired.  

Honored Contributor

Re: being Retired is nice

[ Edited ]

@KailaS wrote:

So glad you are retiring retirement and appreciate your blessings.  I have not been so fortunate.  I retired at not quite age 66 due to cancer complications. Since then I have needed numerous surgeries and treatment.  Even sadder for me, my dad had a stroke less than a month after my retirement. I moved to get as close to his home as possible and shared caregiving of him until he died three years ago.  My mom still is alive at 94, potentially a blessing, but she is legally blind, hard of hearing, and has dementia, leading to more caregiving responsibilities. My sister is a full time caregiver for her husband.  I never married or had children. So, here I am, alone for most of my surgeries, facing another in a few weeks, and left to hiring strangers to care for my cat and to get me to and from surgery. Again, I will come home without anyone to help me.  Friends who stuck around while I was busy with my parents now have either died or have moved south.  So, retirement has not turned out the way I thought it would.  I am thankful to still be standing, but I am tired.  

@KailaS, considering what you have and are still dealing with, you sound very strong. I hope that your next surgery is a big success. And I hope to see more posts from you!Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I'm a very young 80 yrs. I retired 18 yrs ago. Most of the years I was a stenographer/secretary and for 6 years, I was a realtor. In the 1990s when they brought in the computer, no one needed my stenography skills - so it was hard to get a job. I went from one temp job to another - mostly mean bosses - especially at several Blue Cross offices. I worked a total of 45 years - and was always underpaid. Secretary-types were always taken advantage of.

I love being home - no mean bosses giving me a hard time. I never learned the computer to actually work in an office - but I could do what I need for myself.

I always wore a watch - lived by the "watch" - now I have many Eclissi watches from the Q - and they're sitting in my jewelry box.

I make the same amount of money from social security as I did when working. My computer faces the front of my living room - so I could look out the window to see my neighbors walk by. I'm in southern Calif. so the sun is always shining. I realize every day how lucky I am to have survived - by myself.

Life used to be care-free --- but now, it's very challenging.

I remember the Great Ameriica!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I don't know about anyone else but I feel so blessed to be retired since April 2016 after a 45 year career as a nurse, able to get up when I want to in the morning, do my chores (housekeeping etc) when I want to ( I do keep everything clean, dishes washed, clothes washed, dusting, vacuuming etc) I can come and go as I please. I am able to shop as I please, buy what I want when I want. My 2013 Equinox only has 76,000 miles on it and I bought it new (it's paid for) Woman Very Happy. Now I did go through the repeat right  knee replacement  last year (some may remember my story) but I am fine, still a little swelling in the knee but it's ok. I feel so blessed at 70, type 2 diabetes under control, off all meds and I have lost weight so I had to replace my wardrobe.  My children and grandchildren are doing well. Thank you Lord for everyday and every blessing !   Anyone else know what I'm talking about ?  What's your story ?

I've been hosting Travel Nurses --- I so admire Nurses. I had cancer surgery 15 yrs ago - and realized how hard they work and the long and weird hours they put in. So grateful to all people in healthcare - especially during these COVID times.

Respected Contributor

@KailaSwrote: So glad you are retiring retirement and appreciate your blessings.  I have not been so fortunate.  I retired at not quite age 66 due to cancer complications. Since then I have needed numerous surgeries and treatment.  Even sadder for me, my dad had a stroke less than a month after my retirement. I moved to get as close to his home as possible and shared caregiving of him until he died three years ago.  My mom still is alive at 94, potentially a blessing, but she is legally blind, hard of hearing, and has dementia, leading to more caregiving responsibilities. My sister is a full time caregiver for her husband.  I never married or had children. So, here I am, alone for most of my surgeries, facing another in a few weeks, and left to hiring strangers to care for my cat and to get me to and from surgery. Again, I will come home without anyone to help me.  Friends who stuck around while I was busy with my parents now have either died or have moved south.  So, retirement has not turned out the way I thought it would.  I am thankful to still be standing, but I am tired.  

So sorry for the many issues you have dealth with but you are still here and blessed.  I am praying for a positive outcome from your upcoming surgery. As you said " I am thankful to still be standing".  Keep a positive attitude and know that there is a higher power in control and there are many blessings ahead.

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgottenwrote: Oh lord, I need new glasses. I thought your title was "Being Retired Is Nude"  Woman LOL

That's so funny !! thanks for the laugh !  Woman LOL